GMail and Thunderbird - Rationalize contacts

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

GMail and Thunderbird - Rationalize contacts

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Untitled.png
I write "Rationalize" because I can't just delete duplicate entries. In the example of Contacts.CSV shown above, the telephone numbers vary for the post office entry. Doing a simple "eliminate duplicate rows" would reduce four entries to two entries, but I really need to aggregate data from different fields into a single contact row.

I have successfully exported my GMail contacts via a VCF format and imported them to Thunderbird. That has worked :clapping: but to my horror I now have duplicates in the Thunderbird address book. (I am puzzled that GMail with its thirty? years expertise seems not to worry about duplicate contacts; but I may have missed that option).

Short of writing my own nifty "Rationalize Duplicates" code, does anyone know of an existing method to get the job done?

I suspect that this is a very personal thing as one has to wade between cases where the electrician "Bob Little" and his electrician dad "Bob Little" deserve separate records while they may share a common business telephone number but different domestic numbers.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

StuartR
Administrator

Re: GMail and Thunderbird - Rationalize contacts

Post by StuartR »

Google contacts is quite good at this. See https://support.google.com/contacts/answer/7078226
StuartR