Windows 10 Ver. 2004 Update

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows 10 Ver. 2004 Update

Post by HansV »

My printer (a HP Photosmart 5520) works without problem.

And Notepad is still available in version 2004.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Everything seems good to me.

Printer works fine, but it is a fairly new model, I replaced it a year or so ago as the old one needed SMB V1 to be enabled on my computers, this is the insecure protocol that wannacry used to propagate around networks.

Notepad is fine.
StuartR

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

hlewton wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 22:41
... I understand that version 2004 no longer has Notepad as a text editor. Do you know if that is true? Thanks1
I am using Notepad regularly in Win10-2004.

Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 08:36
Everything seems good to me.

Printer works fine, but it is a fairly new model, I replaced it a year or so ago as the old one needed SMB V1 to be enabled on my computers, this is the insecure protocol that wannacry used to propagate around networks.

Notepad is fine.
Thanks. My printers are a bit older but I hope when I have to install ver. 2004 there is no problem. I am surprised about Notepad. I have to quit believing what I see on the WEB. Today I searched again and now here is what I see about Notepad and other apps. "It's also worth noting that Microsoft has made WordPad, Notepad and Paint apps optional in Windows 10 version 2004; they can be removed via the 'Optional features' page in the Settings app."I also use Paint a lot and would miss having it if it were not there.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
02 Aug 2020, 08:38
hlewton wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 22:41
... I understand that version 2004 no longer has Notepad as a text editor. Do you know if that is true? Thanks1
I am using Notepad regularly in Win10-2004.

Cheers
Chris
Thank you for that information. I know a while back I saw where it was going to be available only as a downloadable app because it wasn't going to be an integral part of Windows any longer. However, today I searched again and found what I posted above. Glad to hear it and Paint are remaining in this new version of Windows.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Today I searched again and now here is what I see about Notepad and other apps. "It's also worth noting that Microsoft has made WordPad, Notepad and Paint apps optional in Windows 10 version 2004; they can be removed via the 'Optional features' page in the Settings app."I also use Paint a lot and would miss having it if it were not there.
Optional is not the same as absent! It means that you can disable those apps if you feel you don't need them, not that they aren't available.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I am still confused about the 2004 update.

Just today I got a notice that I needed to restart to install Windows updates. I did so and find this info in Settings > System > About . . .
version 2aug2020.PNG
I then go to Security and Updates and find this . . .
uptodate 2Aug2020.PNG
I read in this thread that my system might not be capable of handling the new version. How do I find out if this is the case?

Confused in central Texas . . .

:scratch:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

@BobH,

18363.997 is the last cumulative update for version 1909. If you are not being offered version 2004 it is likely Microsoft has detected something on your machine that might make the update not install. You are probably better off waiting but if you want to try to updgrade see this post http://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php?p=272216#p272216 from HansV earlier in this thread. It has links to two tools to download the release.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Here is an article I just read and in no way understand. Possibly it may help others. Version 2004 Update
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

BobH wrote:
03 Aug 2020, 01:32

I read in this thread that my system might not be capable of handling the new version. How do I find out if this is the case?

Confused in central Texas . . .

:scratch:
In the same article that linked me to the site I posted above it was mentioned that MS does not make it easy to know why you are not being offered the update and perhaps you will never know.
Regards,
hlewton

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Is this a record! Just finished downloading and installing ver 2004 (from 1909): From start to finish it took just on 5 hours and 40 minutes!!! :hairout:
30 minutes to "get things ready"; 55 minutes to "download" and then 3 hours 20 minutes to "install". Finally, the restart "working on updates your computer will restart several times" (four in total) took another 50 minutes. Although it obviously all went okay (as far as I can tell!), it seems an inordinate length of time. Do these times accord with others' experiences of installing ver 2004? :scratch:
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is a very long time. As I wrote in Windows 10 version 2004 has been released:
Installation took about an hour and a half on my PC. I could continue using it for most of that time.
That is from the time I initiated the installation until it was completely finished.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Well, all seemed to go okay. I've got a pretty oldish computer (circa 2009) and it is pretty basic, Athlone II x 2 250 with 4GB RAM. Whether that would slow the process down I don't know. Anyway, onward and upward!
Regards,
Keith
Regards,
Keith

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

aekyall wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 15:49
Is this a record! Just finished downloading and installing ver 2004 (from 1909): From start to finish it took just on 5 hours and 40 minutes!!!
It's definitely not a record.

I too was just offered the 2004 update, and I was completely amazed at the length of time the update took. I realize that this particular computer is getting pretty old (a 2015 Asus laptop) but it's still running perfectly (after a hard drive replacement) as does everything I require. In any event, I took the plunge last evening, as I had no further requirement for the computer for the day. I don't recall the exact time I initiated the procedure, but it was somewhere between 6:00 and 7:00 pm.

I checked around 8:30 pm and the download was still chugging along. I checked again about an hour later, and although the screen had turned off, I thought I saw disk activity (indicator light flashing intermittently). About half an hour later I checked again, and discovered that it was NOT disk activity, but rather the flashing light was the indicator that the computer was SLEEPING. How does that happen during a download? The only thing that I could think of was that perhaps the internet connection had failed for a short period of time, and the lack of any activity had triggered the Sleep mode. After moving the mouse and waking the computer, the Windows Update screen indicated that the downloading had resumed.

At roughly midnight, the restart "working on updates your computer will restart several times" screen was displayed. I checked several more times, and each time the "working on updates" had progressed another few percent. Finally, at 2:00 am, progress was still very slow and so I simply left the computer on and went to bed. Upon waking up this morning, I checked and the update had indeed completed successfully. I have no idea when the procedure ultimately concluded, but from the time it started until the time I went to bed was AT LEAST 7 hours. A marathon indeed. :hairout:
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

One (or two) additional notes:
As has been mentioned elsewhere in Windows 10 discussions, this update DID turn off System Restore. I had to manually reactivate System Restore.

Each and every time, a major Windows update removes the software and drivers for my Epson Perfection 2480 scanner. Epson does not offer Windows 10 software for this scanner on their North American site, but I was able to find ( a few years ago) the software on the Epson European site. This is not specifically for Windows 10 but rather the 64 bit Windows 7 software. It works perfectly. It is annoying however to have to reinstall it every time that Windows Update removes it.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

At least we both got there in the end!! Now all I've got to do is wait for the bugs to start crawling out of the woodwork!
Regards,
Keith
Regards,
Keith

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Rebel wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:11
As has been mentioned elsewhere in Windows 10 discussions, this update DID turn off System Restore. I had to manually reactivate System Restore.

Each and every time, a major Windows update removes the software and drivers for my Epson Perfection 2480 scanner. Epson does not offer Windows 10 software for this scanner on their North American site, but I was able to find ( a few years ago) the software on the Epson European site. This is not specifically for Windows 10 but rather the 64 bit Windows 7 software. It works perfectly. It is annoying however to have to reinstall it every time that Windows Update removes it.
Agree; not only do we have to live with the UI of Win10, MSFT forced this upgrade cadence on us.
These major updates are complete in-place upgrades.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It looks like the "major" update in the second half of 2020 will actually be a rather small one, like the one in the second half of 2019 (version 1909). It will not completely replace the Windows folder; instead it will act as a larger than usual cumulative update.
If this continues, we'll have only one real "major" update per year.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Rebel wrote:
16 Aug 2020, 17:11

I believe that when there was a failed attempt to install version 2004 on my machine that was when System Restore was turned off but that seem ridiculous to me.

I have a couple older printers that I don't want to lose the use of and not sure any drivers could be found if the ones I have not would no longer function.
Regards,
hlewton