Cannot delete files

jolas
2StarLounger

Re: Cannot delete files

Post by jolas »

Try deleting the file in Safe Mode or
Unhide the hidden Administrator Account and use it to delete the file.

From Admin Tools
Hold the Windows Key while pressing “R” to bring up the Windows Run dialog box.
Type “lusrmgr. msc“, then press “Enter“.
Open “Users“.
Select “Administrator“.
Uncheck or check “Account is disabled” as desired.
Select “OK“

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Thank you.

Yes, Safe Mode works as I believe I indicated before. Currently all is fine again but I'll try the "hidden Admin account" approach next time this happens and will post back here.

jolas
2StarLounger

Post by jolas »

This is a specific scenario that may shed light. Working with MS word with autosave feature. During a random autosave the computer suddenly lost power. When coming back to retrieve and recover the MS Word session the file becomes unrecoverable and deletion from the computer (not necessarily from the desktop) becomes difficult.

In the process of autosave a temporary file was created and probably updated every instances of autosave. Locating this file (maybe hidden so showing hidden files would make the hunting easier) and deleting it first allowed me to delete the offending file. Identifying the file that links to the MS Word document may be a challenge. So I rely on file time stamp to identify a close match and if time stamp doesn't cut it, just decide to delete files which looks like temp files in the designated autosave folder.

Just a thought.

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Thanks. Normally I download files (often updates to programs I have installed) onto my Desktop (I don't use the Downloads folder as I always 'process' what I download directly, so getting it right onto the Desktop is more convenient). I install (I think it's mostly installers but will pay more attention next time) and then I archive the file by moving it from my desktop to my archive folder. It is in that last step that the file moves but 'something' stays behind.
Long story short: I haven't seen this for any Office program (I use MS365). Also, I always look at hidden, system etc. attributes when things like this happen to me. I haven't found them.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

You might want to try the MoveFile app from Microsoft's Sysinternals - See Movefile for more information.
Joe

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Thanks. I will try.

In my original post I wrote "Last resort: I do "UnLocker" and have the files deleted after reboot... Does not work...!".

It's my guess that tools like unlocker use the same approach. My 'problem' survives reboots... :sad:

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I do not know what technique Unlocker uses. I thought that this tool uses a Microsoft API and may work differently. However, the file may survive a re-boot.
Joe

jolas
2StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Another possible reason "Deleting Problem Folder and Files"

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

I thought it was gone but today I had it again. I followed an earlier suggestion and tried to use "MoveFile" (SysInternals, Microsoft).

To make it even better, I ran that in an elevated command prompt...
Administrator_ Command Prompt.png
As you see, the file is just blocked...

What I did was that I right clicked the original file, kept shift down and selected "Send to:" and chose a backup folder I have configured there. The shift makes this a "Move" and not a copy. I might have kept the shift key down a little longer (not sure).

The file moved to the folder and disappeared from my desktop just to show up as a white (blank) icon after a few minutes (probably after a refresh of the Desktop) in the same place
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jolas
2StarLounger

Post by jolas »

By any chance you have ccleaner installed? There's a section where you can check to disable or delete startup entries that may be related to K-Lite Codec update. If there is then may this will release the file from being lock at startup.

The file seem to be a K-Lite Codec update file. If it is, could this be a part of a botch installation?
What if you completely uninstall K-Lite codec? It is suggested to use the Control Panel uninstaller rather than a 3rd party uninstaller.

This may allow deletion that is permanent.

If you need the codec on your system the just have a clean installation of the latest version. Just a thought

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Thanks, I have this with more files. I'm certain this is not related to K-Lite.

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Next to the KLCP file I reported on a few days ago (#1), I now got it with two other files #2 and #3.
In the dialog box you see me attempting to delete file #3... Again, I can assure you that I am the admin and there's no way I can edit the file to change anything (including changing ownership)
2020 Jul 28 222837-Window.png
A few minutes later, the icons lose their pictures:
2020 Jul 28 223905-Window.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

jolas
2StarLounger

Post by jolas »

How about trying this application?

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

Thanks, just did. I get this error. just sent that company an emai, let's see what they think ;-)
2020 Jul 30 212153-Window.png

jolas
2StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Does you windows username contains accented characters?

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

No, my username only has normal characters. Never had problems with that.

W.r.t. the EMCO software... as reported that didn't work but the files are removed now I started up again. Not sure if that is coincidence (as I reported, they always disappear magically after a few days / weeks). Will update here if it happens again and if indeed that utility helps.