Windows 10 Ver. 2004 Update

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows 10 Ver. 2004 Update

Post by hlewton »

Not that I want to install Windows 10 Update Ver. 2004 but I am curious as to why my newest computer, built for me a couple months ago, is the only one I have that does not show Ver. 2004 as an optional update at Windows Update site. Of the other computers that do offer this option the newest one was built in 2015. So if any would not be compatible I would have thought it would have been one of the ones built in 2010 or so but that doesn’t seem to be the case.

A couple weeks ago, because of problems I was having, I agreed to allowing a Microsoft technician to update me to Ver. 2004 using MediaCreationTool2004.exe since Windows Update site did not offer ver. 2004 as an option. He did not stay online with me long enough to see that the attempt at installing it failed and I choose to not call them back, at least not yet.

So any ideas why this new computer would not list Windows 10 ver. 2004 as an optional update?
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Windows 10 Ver. 2004 Update

Post by hlewton »

Well I would still like ideas about this topic BUT I checked immediately after posting this and not Version 2004 is an optional update. Seems crazy since it has not been there even as recently as 2 days ago.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Microsoft is deliberately rolling out version 2004 slowly, so that their servers aren't overburdened, and so that they can catch errors as they go.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

OK thanks. I think I will still wait as long as I can because I hear some printers aren't working with this version.
Regards,
hlewton

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I (think) I have Windows 10 set to auto update - or at least to ask when to do so. I just checked and I'm running version 1909. Can anyone tell me how and when the 2004 update will be applied, or must I ask for it/
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As I mentioned, Microsoft is rolling out version 2004 slowly. If Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates does not offer the new version, you have 3 options:
  • Wait until it is offered automatically.
  • Download and run the Windows 10 Update Assistant. It will check your hardware, and if it meets the requirements, offer to install the latest version.
  • Download and run the Media Creation Tool (second button on Download Windows 10).
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:
29 Jul 2020, 18:37
As I mentioned, Microsoft is rolling out version 2004 slowly. If Settings > Update & Security > Check for updates does not offer the new version, you have 3 options:
  • Wait until it is offered automatically.
  • Download and run the Windows 10 Update Assistant. It will check your hardware, and if it meets the requirements, offer to install the latest version.
  • Download and run the Media Creation Tool (second button on Download Windows 10).
Hans, that is exactly what the MS technician did on my machine, as I mentioned above about the media creation tool. First he ran that Windows Update Assistant and my machine was compatible but the installation still failed. I have been seeing a lot of that happening when I searched the NET before posting this thread. I hope when the time comes that MS forces this update on us, this is all straightened out.
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

When you check with WIndows Update and are not offered the update then Microsoft has determined there is something about your PC that makes it more likely to fail to updgrade. If you want to try the update see Hans' suggestions about the Update Assistant and Media Creation Tool.

NOTE: be sure to do an image backup of your system before starting the update process.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 01:56
When you check with WIndows Update and are not offered the update then Microsoft has determined there is something about your PC that makes it more likely to fail to updgrade. If you want to try the update see Hans' suggestions about the Update Assistant and Media Creation Tool.

NOTE: be sure to do an image backup of your system before starting the update process.
Thanks Joe. Mine now shows it is available and it showed it was compatible when the MS tech checked it with the Windows Update Assistant yet it still failed to install. But that's OK, at least for now.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I have one computer where Windows Update says version 2004 is available, but the install fails with Error 0xc190012e just after it gets to 94% of "getting things ready"

I have tried a few things to resolve this, with no improvement, but I'm not in any great hurry.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 13:02
I have one computer where Windows Update says version 2004 is available, but the install fails with Error 0xc190012e just after it gets to 94% of "getting things ready"

I have tried a few things to resolve this, with no improvement, but I'm not in any great hurry.
Don't know if you're interested or not but I watched this video. Maybe you'll find it useful. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFDBL5BCLrw
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Thank you, but I don't do youtube videos, do you have a text version?
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

hlewton wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 12:37
Thanks Joe. Mine now shows it is available and it showed it was compatible when the MS tech checked it with the Windows Update Assistant yet it still failed to install. But that's OK, at least for now.
Did catch an error code? Have you checked the Event Viewer for errors?
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
30 Jul 2020, 22:00
Thank you, but I don't do youtube videos, do you have a text version?
Sorry, I don't. I will say this about the above video, he explains is very well and slowly enough that you could write down his instructions if you needed a text version of what he said. Don't know if any of it actually works but he gave at least 5, maybe more, steps to use if each preceding one didn't fix the problem. My confusion, though, was knowing how one would know if step 1, 2, 3, etc. worked unless you tried installing version 2004 again after completing each step. That would be a pain in my opinion.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I found quite a helpful set of instructions at https://www.howtoedge.com/fix-windows-u ... indows-10/

Things that I have tried so far: There are a few more things to try, but I'm not too hopeful.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
31 Jul 2020, 13:21
I found quite a helpful set of instructions at https://www.howtoedge.com/fix-windows-u ... indows-10/

Things that I have tried so far: There are a few more things to try, but I'm not too hopeful.
Some of the things that link mentions are also listed in that video I posted. But I think, just my opinion, the video is more instructional and also maybe more helpful in the long run. However, as you mentioned, I am too am not in any hurry to install that version 2004 update. I have heard too many horror stories about it not being compatible with some printers. I mentioned this to the MS tech who was working on my computer and he said he was pretty sure they had fixed those issues. I'm pretty sure I am not ready to take that chance that he may be correct.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I managed to update the problem PC to version 2004 finally, by downloading and running MediaCreationTool2004.exe from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10. This took quite a while, but eventually the PC rebooted and finished the update.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:50
I managed to update the problem PC to version 2004 finally, by downloading and running MediaCreationTool2004.exe from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/softwar ... /windows10. This took quite a while, but eventually the PC rebooted and finished the update.
Good to here that. However, that is the same tool that was used on my computer and still failed. OH well!
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

hlewton wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 18:52
Good to here that. However, that is the same tool that was used on my computer and still failed. OH well!
:sad:
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
01 Aug 2020, 16:50
Sorry, I meant to ask you before, after you got version 2004 installed did everything still work, especially your printers? I have a couple older printers that I really don't want to have not working and I have read that some aren't compatible with version 2004. Also, I understand that version 2004 no longer has Notepad as a text editor. Do you know if that is true? Thanks
Regards,
hlewton