Power Line Ethernet

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Power Line Ethernet

Post by BobH »

Has anyone here used this technology? If so, what results did you get?

I'm considering it to replace wifi for streaming.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Power Line Ethernet

Post by Argus »

I think John Gray has long experience, but also some other loungers.
See, for example, this old thread.
https://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php ... 82cc#p3300

Alt. search (in the Lounge) for: Powerline Ethernet, or, home plugs.

(Fifty-eleventh attempt :censored: ; lounge software didn't like me using user /user; logged out each time. In fact it doesn't work with escape code as well; so posted without brackets. :censored:)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Yes, I still use it to get from 'downstairs' to 'upstairs', but occasionally I have to power-cycle a plug to get it to work properly again. I've been through about three or four iterations of the technology in terms of speed, but if starting from scratch I would go through the agony and disruption of laying ethernet cables in a domestic environment. It's really the only way of guaranteeing a connectivity method which works all day, every day, and fast.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

A few years ago I would have agreed with John, but modern mesh WiFi can be very good in all but the most challenging of houses.
StuartR

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

BobH
A long time ago I followed John Gray's advice and purchased some Solwise Homeplug 'data over electric mains homeplugs'. They have been a lifeline for me because for some reason (brick walls, distance?) the wifi connection from my desktop PC was a) slow b) unreliable. The homeplugs have worked superbly for me'; I agree with John that, occasionally (not very frequently), I have to power cycle a plug. I bought the ones that have a mains adapter in them so I don't lose a power point where they are plugged in.
I would thoroughly recommend them. I have no connection with Solwise in any capacity.
Hope this helps
Silverback
PS : Talktalk sent me a NOW TV box for free, and because it was the free one, it isn't wifi. I don't use it, but the other day I was browsing through its manual and noticed that it had to be connected to the router by an ethernet cable i.e. the manual claims homeplugs won't work/be suitable for streaming. Check your streaming device manual before purchasing homeplugs. :thumbup:

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Indeed! The only time anyone agrees with me now is a few years ago... :sad:
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

John Gray wrote:
06 Jul 2020, 12:15
Indeed! The only time anyone agrees with me now is a few years ago... :sad:
:laugh:
StuartR

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

They have been one of the most useful pieces of tech....a Godsend for me. Strange, also I find that the speeds drop to old dial up figures every 2 or 3 months and a switch off/on restores them. I have a BT TV box (Humax I believe) connected to one of the powerlines and it streams content OK.
Jeff

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, All!!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016