Outlook 365: email recipient "suggestions" cannot be deleted

kdock
5StarLounger

Outlook 365: email recipient "suggestions" cannot be deleted

Post by kdock »

This is really just a rant. I discovered this week that unlike Outlook 2010, Outlook 365 offers me Suggestions as I'm typing that I can't erase, hide, or disable. This means that if I start to type "r", I get one person that I've actually corresponded with as a suggestion, and four other potential recipients that I've marked as Junk and Ignored.

I've been receiving these junk emails for three years now, usually just deleting as Ignore doesn't seem to help. I suspect Microsoft's famous AI has identified these correspondents because I get so much mail from them. Unfortunately, while I can remove the unwanted name of someone I've actually emailed, I cannot remove the ones I've never written to and don't want to. This is even written in a knowledge base article at Msoft:
Note: You can't remove the entries in the Other Suggestions list or disable this list.
So I can turn off the useful part of auto-complete, but I can't turn off the part that offers me spammers and phishers. Hmmm.

I've verified this with Microsoft support and I've already voted at UserVoice, but I don't hold out much hope. :sad: Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Outlook 365: email recipient "suggestions" cannot be deleted

Post by Rudi »

May I offer you a glass of :wine:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have been using Office 365 for several years now and have never seen this.
All I see are those that I have responded to and/or that are in my Contacts.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Rudi wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 05:36
May I offer you a glass of :wine:
Thanks Rudi, I accept gladly and will add a couple of my own to it. :wine: :wine: :wine: :wine: :grin: :wine: :drop: Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

DaveA wrote:
24 Jun 2020, 15:23
I have been using Office 365 for several years now and have never seen this.
All I see are those that I have responded to and/or that are in my Contacts.
I'm very glad you've not had this issue, Dave. You should be, too.

I've emptied the Auto-Complete List, and all that remain are the "Suggestions" from Outlook.

Apparently few enough of us have complained (noticed?) that Microsoft thinks it's not a high priority. From the comments I've read, others have had spam, phishing, ex-clients, and people who've changed their address from the one offered.

These names don't come from your Contacts, and of course I never added these idiots to my contacts in the first place. I pointed out to Msoft (when I sent my frowny feedback face from Outlook), that no one would want to see the address of their late husband or stalker ex-boyfriend popping up unexpectedly.

That they appear doesn't upset me. That I can't delete them is maddening. Grrrrrrr.

Kim

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

When in Outlook, and typing in a email address, the suggested pop ups do in fact come from your contacts and those that have been typed in before.

Have a read at https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/hel ... plete-list
Outlook maintains the AutoComplete list. The list is used by both the automatic name-checking feature and the automatic completion feature. The AutoComplete list, also known as the nickname cache, is generated automatically when you send email messages from Outlook. The list contains SMTP addresses, LegacyExchangeDN entries, and display names for people to whom you have sent mail previously.
Down about half way, there is instructions in removing single entries.

NOTE: the Outlook Auto complete is not the same as Windows autocomplete. On some earlier versions of Outlook, it was the NK2 file that contained these auto correct entries for Outlook.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living