Tablet or Mobile?

silverback
5StarLounger

Tablet or Mobile?

Post by silverback »

My wife and I have a digital subscription to a UK newspaper.
I have a Lenovo 8 inch Android tablet, and the newspaper is delivered to this as the tablet version.
My wife has a Huawei 8 inch Android tablet (there is no SIM card, nor even a SIM slot on this device) and the newspaper version delivered to this device is the 'mobile' version, i.e. the version I get if I download the paper to my mobile phone.
We contacted the newspaper technical support (ha!) section, and after some checks (including telling her that she was obviously mistaken) finally conceded that she was, indeed, receiving the 'mobile' version and that they have no idea why.
This version has numerous disadvantages, e.g. it will not display in landscape, cartoons are minute and will not expand etc., but the main objection is that the layout is completely different to the version on my tablet.
My questions are these.
Having downloaded the same app from Google App Store on to both tablets, what is causing the app to decide that her tablet is 'a mobile device?'
and
Is there something we can do to make it load the tablet version of the newspaper?
Thanks
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Re: Tablet or Mobile?

Post by HansV »

Do you know the screen resolution of the tablets?
Best wishes,
Hans

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

The tablet specs say both have screen resolution of 1920 x 1200.
I have confirmed that this is the actual res. for the Huawei, but I can't find an actual value for the Lenovo. However, I haven't changed anything on the Lenovo, so I assume it's running at 1920 x 1200.
Silverback

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Thanks - so that doesn't explain the difference either. Screen resolution is often used to decide which version to display, but apparently not here...
Best wishes,
Hans