Thunderbird Problems

BobH
UraniumLounger

Thunderbird Problems

Post by BobH »

I've recently had problems with Thunderbird. From all the diagnostics I've learned to try, it appears that my pref.js file is corrupt. A search turned up a Mozilla knowledge base that led me to this conclusion. I do have a pref.js file, but the kb only tells me to search for mailaccount not what to do if I find it. (Or crs has set in like it did preventing me from remembering to delete cache and history before signing in to the NEW AND IMPROVED EILEEN'S LOUNGE?) My address book entries remain, but I have lost all my email accounts and cannot set them up again because what is sent to my ISP in the process to verify things fails.

I've tried deleting and reinstalling TB but that doesn't work because pref.js and other profile files are not deleted during an uninstall. The design is supposed to allow one to retain settings and history when upgrading.

If anyone has experienced and resolved this problem, I would much appreciate instruction on how you overcame it.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: Thunderbird Problems

Post by viking33 »

Bob. Ive just been through similar problem with TB during the recent Verizon debacle and the hand over of email "service" to AOL.
=====================================
I've tried deleting and reinstalling TB but that doesn't work because pref.js and other profile files are not deleted during an uninstall. The design is supposed to allow one to retain settings and history when upgrading.
========================================
I have tried many times to uninstall & reinstall it but you are correct that not ALL files are deleted when you remove the old version.BUT. it didn't prevent me from manually going into the Profile folder and deleting all the rest of them.
Yes, it did take a while to rebuild the profile back to working condition except the address book, which I'm now restoring my addresses. I did have a printout of the addresses luckily and I'm about back in running shape. Mozilla does have a decent Q & A help section that allows asking and printing detailed solutions. Just go to Help and ask. It's very informative.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Bob!

I found and fixed my problem. I installed Mailbird and had the same problem. This told me that my problem was with my ISP. After placing a call and having them enter a new password for me, I was able to get Thunderbird to work properly.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Glad to see you got it straightened out, Bob.
I had tried Mailbird but quickly got rid of it. It just seemed too intrusive and nosey or so it seemed. Even gave me a hard time when I tried to uninstall it.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.