Can't Add Exceptions To FireFox

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Can't Add Exceptions To FireFox

Post by hlewton »

I am having a problem logging into my home security site. It may be their problem to correct but their help shows I may need to add their url to my "safe list" of sites allowed to be accessed. They said I should probably add their url to my antivirus program which is Windows Defender. I find what I think is the place to add them in Windows Defender but I see no other urls there and so I wonder if this is where I should add their site's urls. So I tried adding their site to FireFox and don't seem to be allowed to do that. I will post a screenshot of what I see when trying to add "exceptions" in FireFox. It is just grayed out and won't allow me to edit it.

How do I add these exceptions to FireFox? Am I at the right spot to add them to Windows Defender? Should I add them to both?

Thanks
Firefox.jpg
Defender.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Cant Add Exceptions To FireFox

Post by Argus »

As for settings, exceptions, in Firefox (and I think they've made it a bit more complicated by gathering different things in fewer settings, sort of): as long as you are not using a "private browsing" window (which will not remember changes between sessions), if you click on the shield, top left in the address bar (or what it's called at the moment), there is a toggle to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection. When you do that you will find the site in the list of exceptions.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

hlewton wrote:I am having a problem logging into my home security site.
What exactly do you see when you try to login to this site - that information may enable us offer helpful advice.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
hlewton wrote:I am having a problem logging into my home security site.
What exactly do you see when you try to login to this site - that information may enable us offer helpful advice.
I have been in touch by phone with the security site and they are baffled. What I have to do is log in twice. Then wait for them to send me an email to verify what they say is a new device I am using, which is not at all true. It is the same device I have used for the 3 or so years I have had this security company. Anyway, once I get the email and click in the "verify device" button I am in my account at the Dash Board where I should have been two steps sooner. When looking at their Help files this email is called "A 2 Step Verification." That in its self is not a bad idea but, and their technical staff agrees with me, I should not have to be verified every time I sign in nor should I have to sign in twice each time. Again in their help files it says to add their site's 2 urls to my anti-virus as safe sites. So that is where I am at now. Just not certain if what I think I should do iscorrect.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That sounds like something is clearing cookies, or preventing them from being seen.
What Firefox add-ons do you have installed?
Do you run ccleaner or any similar tool?
What do you see when you click the shield at the left of the URL in the Firefox header?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:As for settings, exceptions, in Firefox (and I think they've made it a bit more complicated by gathering different things in fewer settings, sort of): as long as you are not using a "private browsing" window (which will not remember changes between sessions), if you click on the shield, top left in the address bar (or what it's called at the moment), there is a toggle to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection. When you do that you will find the site in the list of exceptions.
Well I did this for this site and for my home security site and it still does not show any exceptions in the window that opens up when I click on "manage exceptions." I have not found out how to turn the Enhanced Protection back on for these sites. How is that done?
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

hlewton wrote:
Argus wrote:As for settings, exceptions, in Firefox (and I think they've made it a bit more complicated by gathering different things in fewer settings, sort of): as long as you are not using a "private browsing" window (which will not remember changes between sessions), if you click on the shield, top left in the address bar (or what it's called at the moment), there is a toggle to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection. When you do that you will find the site in the list of exceptions.
Well I did this for this site and for my home security site and it still does not show any exceptions in the window that opens up when I click on "manage exceptions." I have not found out how to turn the Enhanced Protection back on for these sites. How is that done?
As you can see in your first screenshot, "Firefox", the one you mentioned was greyed out, it only talks about removing a selected website or all listed websites. In my experience, as I said, when you use the toggle, also shown in Stuart's screenshot above, to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection it will add the address to the list if using Firefox in "normal browsing mode". To once again enable the so called Enhanced Tracking Protection one can either remove a website from the list in the Privacy & Security settings, or simply click the toggle beneath the shield in the address bar.

However, as I said, if using Private Browsing Firefox will not remember a disabled Enhanced Tracking Protection, and hence it will not end up in the list; i.e. Fx will remember it during the session, still not in the list, if you close and open a new tab or window to the same site, but not after you have closed Fx.

The above said, I use Custom Enhanced Tracking Protection, since I use custom settings under cookies & history.

Are you using: "Use custom settings for history" under the History section of Privacy & Security and have checked the "Always use private browsing mode" setting, or, have you selected "Never remember history", in the same section (History Privacy & Security)? That would be equal to open a Private Browsing window, as far as I know, and thus no websites in the list if using the toggle beneath the shield in the address bar.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:That sounds like something is clearing cookies, or preventing them from being seen.
What Firefox add-ons do you have installed?
Do you run ccleaner or any similar tool?
What do you see when you click the shield at the left of the URL in the Firefox header?
I have run Ccleaner for quite a few years. As far as clearing cookies that happens when I close FF but that was one of the first things that the tech at my security wanted me to do - clear the cookies. However, with FF open and just exiting their site, I still cannot get back into it without logging in twice and then, again, waiting for them to send a code to verify my machine. So, in this case, FF has not cleared the cookies, I believe, because I have not shut it down, only exited or logged out of their site.

Now when I go to a site other then here or my security company, when I click on the seal I see Enhanced Tracking Protection toggled "On." I just checked, and I have no idea why this happened except maybe Windows 10 did a cumulative update last night, but this site and my security site once again show Enhanced Tracking Protection toggled "On." Yesterday after I toggled that off it was just not there and I didn't find any way to turn it back on. I wish I could take a screen shot to show you but without turning Enhanced Tracking Protection toggled "Off" I don't think I can.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:In my experience, as I said, when you use the toggle, also shown in Stuart's screenshot above, to disable Enhanced Tracking Protection it will add the address to the list if using Firefox in "normal browsing mode".
As far as I know I am using FireFox in the “normal browsing mode.” The only thing I changed was I set “History” to “Never Remember History” and also “Delete Cookies and site data when FireFox is closed” is checked and I do not know how I managed to check that box because now it is greyed out unless it was part of the clear history settings.

When I disable the “Enhanced Tracking Protection” at a site using the toggle and then later click on that shield that “Enhanced Tracking Protection” toggle is not available. At least that is how it was yesterday. If you wish I could trying turning it off for this site and then taking a screenshot of it once it is off.
Argus wrote:To once again enable the so called Enhanced Tracking Protection one can either remove a website from the list in the Privacy & Security settings, or simply click the toggle beneath the shield in the address bar.
As mentioned once “Enhanced Tracking Protection” is toggled off, I no longer can see that toggle and there are no sites listed under the window that opens when clicking on “Manage Exceptions” under the Privacy & Security settings so I don’t have a clue as to why this would be working this way for me if it is supposed to be working otherwise.
Argus wrote:Are you using: "Use custom settings for history" under the History section of Privacy & Security and have checked the "Always use private browsing mode" setting, or, have you selected "Never remember history", in the same section (History Privacy & Security)? That would be equal to open a Private Browsing window, as far as I know, and thus no websites in the list if using the toggle beneath the shield in the address bar.
I do have that "Never remember history" but I do not see a “Private Browsing window” in any of the options. However, if you say that is equal to a Private Browsing window then I must be using that.

Now here is the strange thing about my security site and logging into it. I never use other WEB browsers except Chrome at 1 site. When I was working with my security site’s tech help I tried 4 WEB browsers – FF, Chrome, IE 11, and Opera. I also tried logging into the site using different computers and the results were always the same no matter which computer or which browser I used. I know I am not using private windows on any of the other browsers because I never took the time to look at their options. So the one thing that seems to be common to all these tests, besides my security site, is my Windows Defender anti-virus program. I wonder again if that is where I could be putting these exceptions. I also use "Real Time" Malawarebytes Protection. Any thoughts on either of these?
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Cleaning cookies between sessions (with or without CCleaner) should not be a problem. I see it as you not being able to login without using some verification link in an email, similar to an email to reset the password; that doesn't link to cleaning cookies every now and then, or not saving them at all (after the session). I think you can forget exceptions in Defender (it's all about files, folders and processes, I think; in rare cases it could be the firewall).

I imagine it is these tips you have seen:
If you find that you need to verify your device every time you log in, the list below can help

If you use Incognito or Privacy Mode, verification is required with each login.
Certain antivirus or ad-blocker add-ins may require you to whitelist “https://simplisafe.com” and “https://webapp.simplisafe.com
Make sure that both “https://simplisafe.com” and “https://webapp.simplisafe.com” are allowed to use Cookies and Site Data.
So check: that you're not using "private browsing" mode, as I mentioned above, with no exceptions for allowed cookies; and if using "normal browsing" and custom cookie settings (blocking all but allowed) that you have allowed the sites (under Cookies and Site Data).
hlewton wrote:I just checked, and I have no idea why this happened except maybe Windows 10 did a cumulative update last night, but this site and my security site once again show Enhanced Tracking Protection toggled "On." Yesterday after I toggled that off it was just not there and I didn't find any way to turn it back on. I wish I could take a screen shot to show you but without turning Enhanced Tracking Protection toggled "Off" I don't think I can.
OS updates shouldn't change how third-party browsers, such as Fx, work in these aspects. As I described above, and I use "private browsing" windows a lot, if you disable Enhanced Tracking Protection in private browsing, incognito mode, it will not stick. Close and start the browser and it'll be back. Do the same in normal mode and it will stick.
Fx Enhanced tracking protection toggle.png
As per my post above, what do you see in the relevant sections of Privacy & Security: history?
hlewton wrote:I have been in touch by phone with the security site and they are baffled.
That's often the case if you change anything in a browser's default settings, or add an add-in that changes its behaviour. Could be cookies, scripts etc. They expect all to be allowed, so it's up to the individual to remember and understand all changes.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

My reply above was to your reply to Stuart, 07:54 your time; I didn't see your reply to me before posting.
hlewton wrote:
Argus wrote:To once again enable the so called Enhanced Tracking Protection one can either remove a website from the list in the Privacy & Security settings, or simply click the toggle beneath the shield in the address bar.
As mentioned once “Enhanced Tracking Protection” is toggled off, I no longer can see that toggle and there are no sites listed under the window that opens when clicking on “Manage Exceptions” under the Privacy & Security settings so I don’t have a clue as to why this would be working this way for me if it is supposed to be working otherwise.
That was in my paragraph about normal browsing mode, see the sentence just before the quote, and the para just after (if not normal mode, no entries in the list).
hlewton wrote:
Argus wrote:Are you using: "Use custom settings for history" under the History section of Privacy & Security and have checked the "Always use private browsing mode" setting, or, have you selected "Never remember history", in the same section (History Privacy & Security)? That would be equal to open a Private Browsing window, as far as I know, and thus no websites in the list if using the toggle beneath the shield in the address bar.
I do have that "Never remember history" but I do not see a “Private Browsing window” in any of the options. However, if you say that is equal to a Private Browsing window then I must be using that.
As I said:
Argus wrote:Are you using: "Use custom settings for history" under the History section of Privacy & Security and have checked the "Always use private browsing mode" setting
The "Always use private browsing" is only available in the custom settings alternative.

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/pr ... ut-history" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Since this site you mention is of rather importance to you, why not simply do a test, and change the settings in the History section?
hlewton wrote:I also tried logging into the site using different computers and the results were always the same no matter which computer or which browser I used. I know I am not using private windows on any of the other browsers because I never took the time to look at their options. So the one thing that seems to be common to all these tests, besides my security site, is my Windows Defender anti-virus program. I wonder again if that is where I could be putting these exceptions. I also use "Real Time" Malawarebytes Protection. Any thoughts on either of these?
Maybe something to look at.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:
Since this site you mention is of rather importance to you, why not simply do a test, and change the settings in the History section?
Thank you for all your help. It was a lot for me to digest but I think I am understanding a bit more thanks to your explanations. I will experiment with with your suggestion and see if it helps.
Argus wrote:That was in my paragraph about normal browsing mode, see the sentence just before the quote, and the para just after (if not normal mode, no entries in the list).
I'm sorry I did miss that.

Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Can't Add Exceptions To FireFox

Post by hlewton »

I just tested the above recommendation and set History to "Remember History" in FF and did no good. I also tried Opera again and did take a quick look at the options and there is nothing in Opera set to clear history or cookies and it still did not allow me to sign into my security site without my computer being verified again.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:I imagine it is these tips you have seen:
If you find that you need to verify your device every time you log in, the list below can help

If you use Incognito or Privacy Mode, verification is required with each login.
Certain antivirus or ad-blocker add-ins may require you to whitelist “https://simplisafe.com” and “https://webapp.simplisafe.com
Make sure that both “https://simplisafe.com” and “https://webapp.simplisafe.com” are allowed to use Cookies and Site Data.
Yes I did see this and that is why I started this post. I have another scheduled conference call with Simplisafe next Saturday and I will see if they come up with anything> I did mention the above to them yesterday but got no comment from them about that. I guess it won't hurt to try to add these WEB sites to my Windows defender's list of apps.

Thanks again.
Regards,
hlewton

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

It is rather easy to test a couple things: you can always run your browser, for example Fx, in Safe Mode, thus without extensions enabled (and all javascripts running) and then change some of the settings for cookies & history (to remember) and if needed at the same time change Enhanced tracking protection from Standard to Custom and uncheck every setting so that it will not block anything (as an alternative to disable via the toggle). And at the same time, or in another test, disable real-time protection in Malwarebytes, all while only testing the site you mention.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Argus wrote:It is rather easy to test a couple things: you can always run your browser, for example Fx, in Safe Mode, thus without extensions enabled (and all javascripts running) and then change some of the settings for cookies & history (to remember) and if needed at the same time change Enhanced tracking protection from Standard to Custom and uncheck every setting so that it will not block anything (as an alternative to disable via the toggle). And at the same time, or in another test, disable real-time protection in Malwarebytes, all while only testing the site you mention.
Thank you. I will try these steps one at a time.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

hlewton wrote:
Argus wrote:It is rather easy to test a couple things: you can always run your browser, for example Fx, in Safe Mode, thus without extensions enabled (and all javascripts running) and then change some of the settings for cookies & history (to remember) and if needed at the same time change Enhanced tracking protection from Standard to Custom and uncheck every setting so that it will not block anything (as an alternative to disable via the toggle). And at the same time, or in another test, disable real-time protection in Malwarebytes, all while only testing the site you mention.
Thank you. I will try these steps one at a time.
1. I first started FireFox in the Safe Mode, set it to “Remember History.” Tried that and had the same results when trying to sign in to Simplisafe. Had to restart FF and then go into the Safe Mode again but my setting did hold.
2. I then unchecked the “delete cookies” box. Tried to access that site. Again same results.
3. I then set the Enhanced Tracking Protection” to “Custom.” Unchecked four boxes, Cookies, Tracking Content, Cryptominers, and Fingerprinters. Tried once again with the same results.
4. I then shut down Malawarebytes altogether and tried accessing my site while still in the Safe Mode of FF. Still the same results.
5. I then, against my better judgement, disabled Windows Defender. Again this was done while in FF’s Safe Mode. Again, the same results.
6. Reset FF to the settings I have used, turned Windows Defender back on, and started up Malawarebytes. So I am back where I was as far as all my settings in FireFox and my protection is concerned.

I think I have tried everything you asked. Again, I want to thank you for trying to help me.

If I’m not mistaken I think the last test I tried with both Malawarebytes and Windows Defender protection off proves that Simplisafe’s site saying to add their URLs to a Safe or White List would do me no good.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:...I have used, turned Windows Defender back on, and started up Malawarebytes...
Why are you running two AV applications at the same time? I always though that was a Bad ThingTM. Or have times changed?

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

stuck wrote:
hlewton wrote:...I have used, turned Windows Defender back on, and started up Malawarebytes...
Why are you running two AV applications at the same time? I always though that was a Bad ThingTM. Or have times changed?

Ken
I have been running both for about 3 years now. Malawarebytes seems to play nice with Windows Defender and it does stop some threats that Windows Defender seems to miss. I have the paid version that has Real Time Protection and so far I have liked it.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

My testing today seems to go against all I tested a week or so ago. Anyway here is today's question.

From what I can see on the WEB, SSID refers to the name of a WiFi network. So I have my service provider’s Internet modem connected to a WiFi hub using an Ethernet cable. From that hub another Ethernet cable connects to a switch from which all the devices using Ethernet cables are connected. My computer is connected using an Ethernet cable but still it must broadcast an SSID.

When I have FireFox or any other browser set to Never Remember History and to Clear Cookies on exit every time I try to log back into my security company, they are seeing a different SSID. This seems to be what is causing me problems with logging into that company.

What would cause my network to be putting out so many different SSIDs? If I set the FireFox’s settings to Remember History and not Clear the cookies, the SSID is the same on every log in. Is there a way to force FireFox to always use the same SSID when signing into any particular site like my security company?
Regards,
hlewton