STAT error message from GMAIL?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

STAT error message from GMAIL?

Post by viking33 »

error message..JPG
The above error message started showing up whenever I try to use Thunderbird to access my Gmail account. I have just been clicking OK and all SEEMS proper in that I can pickup or send an email
I assume this is a Linux "status" command but have no idea how or where to disable it? ( or how to make it work, IF it is necessary)
Any Linux or Gmail Pros out there to point me in the right direction? :thankyou:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Re: STAT error message from GMAIL?

Post by viking33 »

:scratch: No thoughts or ideas as yet?
BOB

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The only relevant search results that I found were from 2004 or so and referred to a version that has long since be superseded...
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I thought it (the STAT command) was a POP3 command, after login/authorisation is done, when polling a mail server (i.e. a question (to the server) about size and number of messages). (I only use IMAP on one or two accounts on the main machine (and on several on mobile devices for obvious reasons), so I have not read that much about the protocol, settings etc. Might explain...) Things are a bit different, as we know, with IMAP.*

I do not use Thunderbird, have you tried/checked anything related to this setting as a test (or other mentioned): mail.imap.use_status_for_biff.
(Via (I think): Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Config Editor) See this page (and this about settings).
If Thunderbird doesn't recognize that a folder contains unread messages try setting mail.imap.use_status_for_biff true. It causes Thunderbird to explicitly select each folder to update the message summaries, rather than using the STATUS command. It has more overhead, but some IMAP servers don't return STATUS correctly.

* See: RFC3501, IMAPv4, about Status command.
And: IMAP4 Extension for Returning STATUS Information, about extending the LIST command with a new return option, STATUS.
[RFC3501] explicitly disallows mailbox patterns in the STATUS command. The main reason was to discourage frequent use of the STATUS command by clients, as it might be quite expensive for an IMAP server to perform. However, this prohibition had resulted in an opposite effect: a new generation of IMAP clients appeared, that issues a STATUS command for each mailbox returned by the LIST command. This behavior is suboptimal to say at least. It wastes extra bandwidth and, in the case of a client that doesn't support IMAP pipelining, also degrades performance by using too many round trips. This document tries to remedy the situation by specifying a single command that can be used by the client to request all the necessary information. In order to achieve this goal, this document is extending the LIST command with a new return option, STATUS.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Thanks, Argus and all others. I've been trying to work my way through those suggestions. Some of which I've tried already but thus far no "AHA" moment has occurred.
Mozilla has quite a few things posted but they also have been NG. I DID see an a Mozilla post, that they said if using Thunderbird, MAKE SURE that IMAP is enabled. implying that POP would not be a workable solution?
BOB

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Post by Rebel »

viking33 wrote:Thanks, Argus and all others. I've been trying to work my way through those suggestions. Some of which I've tried already but thus far no "AHA" moment has occurred.
Mozilla has quite a few things posted but they also have been NG. I DID see an a Mozilla post, that they said if using Thunderbird, MAKE SURE that IMAP is enabled. implying that POP would not be a workable solution?
I've used both POP and IMAP with Thunderbird and had absolutely no problems with either Bob (although I've NOT used a Gmail account with Thunderbird).
In fact, I switched my POP accounts to IMAP so that I could access these emails on both my Cell as well as the computer. The syncing between web-mail and standalone solutions (such as Thunderbird, Outlook, or cell phone apps) is (in my opinion) far superior to POP.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

viking33 wrote:Mozilla has quite a few things posted but they also have been NG. I DID see an a Mozilla post, that they said if using Thunderbird, MAKE SURE that IMAP is enabled. implying that POP would not be a workable solution?
That's a very odd suggestion, and not much of an email client, in my opinion, if true. (At times I have found the help pages for Thunderbird and Fx less than helpful, mixing old settings with more recent, as they change their software every now and then.)

Not much of help here since I a) do not use Thunderbird, and b) do not use my GMail account. I prefer local copies of my emails (for most accounts) so POP on desktop, and no need to access old emails on mobile devices thus IMAP.

Sure is odd. I would check all settings; server, port, auth. method, username & password etc. I.e. the right combination for using IMAP (or POP). Could be a problem on the server side. (Sending mail is a different matter; protocol etc.)

That said, there seems to be so many things going on with GMail, two-step verification, Captcha and whatnot. I saw something (and have seen earlier) about "Allow less secure apps" (GMail using some authentication mech. called OAuth 2.0), there is a setting for that in Gmail. It's possible that you may have to enable that. (I.e. via mail.google.com.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.