Cause laptop to sleep or hibernate when overheating

jmt356
SilverLounger

Cause laptop to sleep or hibernate when overheating

Post by jmt356 »

When my CPU usage is very high for a prolonged period of time, my laptop shuts down unexpectedly to prevent overheating. Is it possible to set it to sleep or hibernate instead?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Cause laptop to sleep or hibernate when overheating

Post by HansV »

I don't think there is a built-in setting to do this.
Best wishes,
Hans

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The utility SpeedFan can run actions when the temperature of the CPU or other parts of your laptop exceed a specified value. You might run a batch file that sends the laptop to sleep or hibernate. See How to get the best out of SpeedFan's events.
Best wishes,
Hans

BrownLuther007
NewLounger

Post by BrownLuther007 »

You might want to run it on a plain surface and a cool room mostly, and the cpu is program to switched off after a certain temperature.

jolas
3StarLounger

Post by jolas »

Sleep and hibernation is not an option as Mr. Hans said. There are ways to minimize overheating which you may consider as overheating on laptop is an impending cause of frustration in the long run.

If I may offer some suggestions. Provide a flowing ventilation underneath the laptop. A simple wedge will do it or get one of those laptop rack that tilts and have fun underneath.

It you could get inside your laptop. Upgrade to SSD is your laptop is still using magnetic drive. Sold State Drive produces less heat and will surely speed up your laptop.

Check and clean the fun and the exhaust grill. Dust quickly accumulates in this area and one of the obvious cause of overheating. Blow some compress air if you have some. Check if the fans are not malfunctioning.

If The CPU is easily accessible check the heat sink, thermal paste/pad proper contact with the cpu. Good heat distribution within the cpu/heat sink will get you a stable working system.

All this if at all possible. Sorry for the long post.