saved drafts

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

saved drafts

Post by Nick Vittum »

I'm trying to recover an Excel draft saved earlier today, and can't find it. Excel says it saves drafts to <C:\Users\Nick\Documents\SharePoint Drafts\>, but no such folder exists on my system. Any suggestions where the drafts might really be kept?

I'm in Win7, Office365
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

jstevens
GoldLounger

Re: saved drafts

Post by jstevens »

Nick,

Does this help any?

I don't have Office 365 but this makes sense of where to start.
Regards,
John

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

jstevens wrote:Nick,
Does this help any?
Thanks, but no. The file path listed there was the one I described, the one that doesn't exist. Oddly enough, when I went back there, I saw a few lines above it a different file path for autosaved files <C:\Users\Nick\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Excel\>

There I found recovery files for other Excel docs I've been using, but not the one I'm looking for. Maybe because I've got it set in the coding to save on close, and so it doesn't bother with autosave? In earlier versions of Office, if I remember right, you could set your documents to autosave every 10 minutes (or whatever time lapse you chose) and if you accidentally saved something that had problems in it, you could go back and find the appropriate autosave and recover from there.. Maybe they did away with that because so many people are doing cloud storage? (although it would seem that the problem of accidental saves would still exist).

Looks like I'll have to go to my last back-up and duplicate my work. Thanks.
—Nick

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Do you have a button marked Recover Unsaved Workbooks at the bottom of your File > Open screen?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

I do, Stuart, thanks. I hadn't seen that button because somehow when I installed 365, I disabled the splash screen so it goes directly to the workbook. Unfortunately, there's nothing there. Apparently— also when I installed 365— in my efforts to disable on-line saving, I disabled auto-save altogether. I've fixed that now. Better late than never, I suppose.
—Nick