Update: Firefox 74.0 released

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Update: Firefox 74.0 released

Post by StuartR »

These release notes say that the Facebook container add-on is new, which is strange as I've been using it for a very long time!
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Tell us about it, please, Stuart.

How does it work? Is it more trustworthy than the smart phone app? Why would I want i?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

It causes Facebook to run in a separate context to all other web sites. That's a bit like having a dedicated Facebook browser, so that it can't share information with anything happening on any other tab. It does disable Facebook functionality on those other tabs, but that is intentional.

I also use another add-on called Firefox Multi-Account Containers, which lets me group other sites into groups that are isolated from each other. So my banking apps and my social media apps can never see each other, for example.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
StuartR

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Stuart.
:single malt:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

How is using the dedicated FB container add-on any different to running FB in a container created with the multi-account add-on?

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think that the Firefox container add-on has some extra smarts around opening links from Facebook pages. The normal container add-on will open links in the same container.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:...extra smarts around opening links from Facebook pages. The normal container add-on will open links in the same container.
Ah, I see, that would be another thing to mitigate FB's tracking abilities.

I rarely use FB but when I do, it runs in a multi-account container. I also try not to follow links in FB to external pages. I'll open new tab and try to find the external page independently. Looks like I'll be installing the FB container add-on at some point.
:thankyou:

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I try to remember to always open Facebook links in a new private window, but sometimes I forget, and then at least they open in a different container to Facebook
StuartR