Nobel Prize 1956

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Nobel Prize 1956

Post by viking33 »

This is a picture of the actual prototype transistor built by the three Engineers at Bell Labs. Resulted in the Nobel for them.
You've come a long way. baby!
Imagine what your "smartphone would look like with a few thousand of these things in it?
Now on exhibit in the Bell Labs Museum in Murray Hill, New Jersey.
Transistor.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Nobel Prize 1956

Post by HansV »

Wow!
Best wishes,
Hans

Nick Vittum
4StarLounger

Post by Nick Vittum »

This got me really curious, because I remember my prized first transistor radio that I got for Christmas around 1958 or '59. It turns out they (Shockley, Bardeen and Brattain) actually completed the first working transistor in 1947. It was almost 10 years later that they received the Nobel prize for it.
"The most important invention of the 20th century."
Here they are working on it:
transistor_inventors_hr.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
—Nick

I’m only an egg (but hard-boiled)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

They should have received a prize for being able to lift that HUGE piece of test equipment shown in the background. Whatever that was? I Do remember using an old Dumont oscilloscope that was nearly that big! That a job for the newest engineering intern to do.
"Okay Sonny, put that scope over there and get help to setup the power supply with the forklift."
BOB

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Nick Vittum wrote:This got me really curious, because I remember my prized first transistor radio that I got for Christmas around 1958 or '59. It turns out they (Shockley, Bardeen and Brattain) actually completed the first working transistor in 1947. It was almost 10 years later that they received the Nobel prize for it.
Yes, it takes quite some time, usually; I'd say the 1956 prize was awarded rather quickly. John Bardeen is also the only one to get a Nobel Prize in Physics twice; 1/3 1956, 1/3 1972 (superconductors, theory already 1957).
viking33 wrote:They should have received a prize for being able to lift that HUGE piece of test equipment shown in the background.
:grin:
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

viking33 wrote:Imagine what your "smartphone would look like with a few thousand of these things in it?
We wouldn't be calling them "mobile," that's for sure.

Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Accompanying details.
Nobel Placque.JPG
BOB

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Sorry for the "fuzzy" closeup.
:sad:
BOB