What's the difference?

viking33
PlatinumLounger

What's the difference?

Post by viking33 »

What is the difference between a disk or partition with MBR and GBT? How do I convert from MBR over to GBT for my Win 10 partition, since MS insists that it can not update to the latest ( 1903 version ) unless it is a GBT disk?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: What's the difference?

Post by BobH »

Here you go, Bob!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Here you go, Bob!
Thanks, Bob.
A lot of reading in there and my first reaction on a swift read was: What did he say? I'll have to do a re-read and see if I want to really go into this change or not? :scratch:
Or do I have a choice?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See How to Convert GPT to MBR or Convert MBR to GPT without Losing Data?. Plugging their own product - AOMEI Partition Assistant Professional Edition (not free).

There is also MBR to GPT | How to Convert MBR to GPT in Windows 10 Easily and Safely which wants u=you to use Easus Partition Master. It is unclear from the article if you can do the conversion with the free version.

There is also a command line tool mentioned at the end of the Easus article which is included in Windows 10. If you are not completely comfortable in the command line or PowerShell environments I recommend you ignore it.
Joe

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

There is also: Free Convert MBR to GPT Without Data Loss [EaseUS] (using the free version; from August this year).

Disclaimer: I have not used EaseUS Partition Master to convert from MBR to GPT, since I set the system drive to GPT during setup. But I have used the free version of Partition Master for minor tweaks of partition sizes on non-system drives, and that has gone smoothly and quick.

As Joe mentioned it is also possible via an elevated command prompt and Diskpart (I think), and some other tool, or perhaps via the UI in other OS than Win7, but some of them may involve deleting volumes, I think, so one must move data off the drive; a backup should be done anyhow, in my opinion.

There are a couple of advantages with GPT as mentioned in some of the articles (but I don't see a need for a unique identifier for every partition on earth; perhaps it can be a help for those watching us :compute: :eyeout: :xgrin:).
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Thanks Argus,

Good to know you can use the free version of EaseUS Partition Master for future reference.
Joe

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Just remembered you can use the free version of MiniTool Partition Wizard too.
Joe