Odd behavior when changing slide layout

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Odd behavior when changing slide layout

Post by ErikJan »

I've attached a PPTX file with two template layouts.
In the one slide there are four boxes visible, the first has text "123" the last "456" (#s 2and 3 are empty).
If in the "Slides" group, I select "Layout" and then switch from the current Layout called "One" to the one called "Two" something peculiar happens...
The text "123" jumps to box3 and the text "456" jumps to box 2, now boxes 1 and 4 are empty!
Now switching BACK to Layout "One" does not "unchange" this anymore (nor does anything else). Only "Undo" returns the situation to how it was.

The original file contains several almost identical template layouts. The purpose is that if someone changes the layout, something changes on the slide but the texts should STAY where they are of course.

I created each template layout by copying the original (if I remember right), so they should be the same.

I'm puzzled... anyone?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Odd behavior when changing slide layout

Post by HansV »

I'm afraid I don't know enough about PowerPoint, I don't have the slightest idea what causes this. :sorry:
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just observations, not a solution or explanation:
I initially thought it might have something to do with the design (or shape order) between the two layout masters. Since this is not the case, it seems to internally prioritize boxes that are filled, ignoring boxes with no text in them. Notice that it does not swap order if you have content typed into the empty text boxes. This is probably only applicable to textboxes and not other shapes.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

@Rudi: Thanks. It's is as you say but it's not logical at all. In my application people fill out some boxes and then sometimes they enable another template (Layout) to have a project-stage graphic updated. If project information then jumps to another (empty) box and v.v. it's bad...
I'm trying to get hold of a Microsoft "troubleshooter" (@ work) to see if they can take a look at this.
Will report back here if and when I learn more.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Good luck. Hope you find and answer!

You could also post on a dedicated PowerPoint forum where there might be some PPT MVP's that can help.

Also try searching on this lengthy list of tips, fixes and advice.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

I posted (thanks) and quickly scanned the tips site (will scan more later)