berries and jams

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

berries and jams

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bonavista_IMG_20191020_132751680.JPG
Four jars of partridge berries, no water, waiting to be steam-sterlized on #4 at one-thirty.
Bonavista_IMG_20191020_134045579.JPG
Four jars of Orange marmalade sealing themselves tight; and jelling.
Bonavista_IMG_20191020_164608726.JPG
Four jars of cranberries, sterilized in their own juice. In a few minutes the contents will have settled to half the volume of the jar.
:yum: :yum: :yum:
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Re: berries and jams

Post by Cellmate »

I've never heard/seen anything called "partridge berries" before.
Hmm...they look like cranberries...
maybe something new?
Nope. They're cranberries!
Phew!

Apropos of not much, we have in my neighborhood, a craft store called Cranberry Hill, which always struck me as somehow-off.
Cranberries grow in bogs, not on hills, dammit!
Bogs are upside-down hills, inverted hills, the opposite of hills!

You can always make an adult desert called Bachelor's Jam. A bunch of berries, fresh fruit etc mixed with sugar, in a ratio of 1 lb of fruit to 1 cup of sugar (adjust to taste, cranberries may need a bit more...) transfer to clean jars and top up with 80 proof liquor (brandy, rum, kirsch, vodka, Armagnac, whatever you think you'd like) and let sit for about 2 - 3 weeks. When it tastes good to you, you can eat it out of the jar or use it to top your ice cream, yogurt, whatever you want.

Cheers
Cellmate

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cellmate wrote:I've never heard/seen anything called "partridge berries" before. Hmm...they look like cranberries...
https://wikidiff.com/partridgeberry/cranberry
...called Cranberry Hill, which always struck me as somehow-off. Cranberries grow in bogs, not on hills,
Well, true, up to a point. But you CAN find bogs up on The Barrens, bare, elevated land, and the bogs (swamps, ponds) form in slight depressions on what would be called Mesas if this were Arizona.
Cheers
Chris

Cellmate
2StarLounger

Post by Cellmate »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Cellmate wrote:I've never heard/seen anything called "partridge berries" before. Hmm...they look like cranberries...
https://wikidiff.com/partridgeberry/cranberry
...called Cranberry Hill, which always struck me as somehow-off. Cranberries grow in bogs, not on hills,
Well, true, up to a point. But you CAN find bogs up on The Barrens, bare, elevated land, and the bogs (swamps, ponds) form in slight depressions on what would be called Mesas if this were Arizona.
Cheers
Chris
Not to be confused with Blueberry Hill, where one may find one's thrill :thumbup:

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cellmate wrote:Not to be confused with Blueberry Hill, where one may find one's thrill :thumbup:
So that's how Mister Domino got his name - eating too much jam?
Cheers
Chris