Muffins and Gluten-free flour

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Muffins and Gluten-free flour

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am not a fan of “-free” anything, unless of course it is ice-cream. But two thoughts assailed me today as I mixed of batch #435 of Ginger Snap Cookies:-
(1) Muffin recipes say “stir by hand” (although I use a wooden spoon) and “do not overstir” to avoid something happening to the muffin-mix.
(2) One can buy flour that is labelled “gluten-free”.
Actually three thoughts:-
(3) I knead or beat my bread-dough to develop gluten, to give the loaves of bread a firm structure.
Four:-
(4) Whereas I like my muffins light and fluffy.
Presumably, if I bought and used gluten-free flour for muffins, I could use the mechanical beaters without developing gluten in the muffin mix, thus light and fluffy muffins without the labour of mixing by hand.
Correct?
Thanks
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Rebel
4StarLounger
Location: Recently moved to Bracebridge - in the heart of Muskoka.

Re: Muffins and Gluten-free flour

Post by Rebel »

I've never used gluten free flour Chris, but I suspect that your presumption is correct. As for the “do not overstir to avoid something happening to the muffin-mix", the "something happening to the muffin-mix" is the unwanted development of gluten, thus making the muffins "tough".
I bake quite a bit of bread and muffins, but I would not go to the bother (and extra expense) of purchasing gluten free flour simply to avoid stirring by hand. With most muffin recipes, the stirring by hand (I also use a wooden spoon) is minimal.
John :canada:
A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Muffins and Gluten-free flour

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Rebel wrote:I've never used gluten free flour Chris, ....
Thanks, Rebel.
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace