Access to publicWiFi is intermittent, Why? How to re-establ

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Re: Access to publicWiFi is intermittent, Why? How to re-est

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Well, if the Dell does work, that's good too, isn't it? :grin:
Hans, you are winding me up, right?
From the scientific view, no matter what the outcome, i will be in the losing position! :scratch:
Cheers
Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Isn't having a working WiFi connection more important than your scientific position?
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Isn't having a working WiFi connection more important than your scientific position?
I think I shall have to consider this deeply.

On the surface, I used to live without computers, but I can't imagine being me without a scientific mind.

One level down, finding out why something fails intermittently is a job for a scientific approach, so without a careful study ("try it with this switch turned OFF ...") where would we be?
Cheers
Chris
P.S. I am also a sceptic, and I just know by your question that you want me to reply "Life without Eileen's Lounge just isn't worth living", which happens to be true, but I would never admit it publicly! :evilgrin:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Although I have spent a not inconsiderable percentage of my waking time at Eileen's Lounge over the past almost 10 years, I sincerely hope that a life without it is still worth living!
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
BobH wrote:Congrats on a working system at WG!!!!
Second day in a row!
My current one-step-at-a-time is to bring the DELL in here, confirm that WiFi is not working, reinstall a bare-bones Win7HP from CD, and try again.

Of course, we all know too well that when I bring DELL in for that first test, the dratted WiFi will work, throwing confusion to the winds ...
A long time ago in a forum far, far away you wrote:
In a most un-scientific manner, I disabled the language bar while installing IE7, thereby changing two variables at once. If my keyboard mappings don't screw up, all we will know is that my standards as a scientist are slipping further ...
And I think I replied:
And wonder the rest of your life, what it was that fixed it.
To which you replied:
Well, actually, now it appears to be fixed, I'm about due for a bad case of the I-hope-it-comes-back-so-I-can-solve-it-properlys.
So, you are planning to move your lab to the café now?
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

ChrisGreaves wrote:... Last week my laptop could not detect the Walkham's WiFi signal. Other nearby WiFi signals yes, but the cafe WiFi, No.
Sorry for the delay.

I am typing this, online, at the WGCP using the DELL, so BOTH laptops are now behaving WiFiarly at this oddball location.

A re-installation of Win7HP from the CD on BOTH laptops (plus in the case of the DELL, installation of the network drivers) has done the trick.

I still do not know what caused the aberration, and have not yet met with the other two locals with problems.
It seems that the hardware in both systems is OK, so it is a software-compatibility problem OR the caff has rebooted its router OR ...

Thanks to everyone who offered advice.

Chris :thankyou:

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Enjoy!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:So, you are planning to move your lab to the café now?
Well, as long as they keep on making bakeapple cheesecake, yes. At home I'm lucky if I get home-baked bread, toasted, with home-made orange marmalade.

BTW, Argus, I judge by your most recent reply that you have too much thyme on your hands. Perhaps we should adjourn to the Cooking Forum? :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:BTW, Argus, I judge by your most recent reply that you have too much thyme on your hands. Perhaps we should adjourn to the Cooking Forum? :evilgrin:
That's a pie in the sky. But you are probably right; I've been spending time answering esoteric questions about Windows' user interface in an Internet forum. :evilgrin: Perhaps I should squeeze in a couple of more projects and start making my own marmalade etc.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:Perhaps I should squeeze in a couple of more projects and start making my own marmalade etc.
Well, keep your options open, or at least, a jar :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris