Create Title Slide Layout Master

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

Create Title Slide Layout Master

Post by BobSullivan »

Looking around the internet and I can't find an answer.

Someone asked me the other day, how do you create a title slide layout master? I can't find the answer. I can create slide masters, but not title slide masters without duplicating the existing title slide master. Is there a way to create a title slide layout master or convert a slide content master to a title slide layout master?

It's an odd question, I know.
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA

HansV
Administrator

Re: Create Title Slide Layout Master

Post by HansV »

I don't quite understand. Do you want to edit the existing title master? Or do you want to create a new one? If the latter, what is the problem with duplicating the existing title master and modifying the copy?
Best wishes,
Hans

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

Post by BobSullivan »

No, I was just wondering how to create a title layout master. The company where I was on Wednesday creates their own PowerPoint Masters, and this person asked me how to create a title master.

When you create a layout master, PowerPoint assumes that you want a slide layout, not a title layout.

Sometimes when I don't have a lot to do, I think about these situations. Like what happens if you have a slide show with no title slide, and therefore perhaps no title slide layout master. How do you create one? I would probably just take a title slide from some other presentation and add it to the presentation, therefore creating a new title layout master?

Or, suppose someone deletes the title slide layout master, saves the presentation, and then needs a title slide? Can you create one without copying from another slide master?

It seems that because you can create a content layout master, you should be able to also create a title layout master. But if there no option or procedure to do this, I'll just tell the guy to get a title slide from another presentation and copy it into his existing one.
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The title master is just a convenient way to have a consistent layout for title slides. You could, in fact, reformat any slide to function as a title slide.
If a presentation lacks a slide master, you can create it from scratch and rename it to Title Slide, copy and modify an existing layout and rename it to Title Slide, or copy it from another presentation...
Best wishes,
Hans

BobSullivan
3StarLounger

Post by BobSullivan »

For some reason, PowerPoint treats existing title slide masters differently. If you place an object on the parent master slide, it will only appear on all the non-title slide masters, not on title slides. When you insert header and footer information, you can designate that the information should not appear on the title slide. So somehow, PowerPoint knows that a slide master is a title slide in more than name only.
Cordially,

Bob Sullivan
Elverson, PA

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I'm not a PowerPoint expert; perhaps someone else will have better information.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,
If you place an object on the parent master slide, it will only appear on all the non-title slide masters, not on title slides.
Having opened a blank new presentation and going to the master slides, I notice that adding a shape on the parent master does add to the title master and all variants, unlike your comment above.

After that test, I deleted the Title layout master and inserted a new layout, renamed it Title layout and edited the placeholders to simulate the original title slide. Once I had this layout, I placed another shape on the parent master and the shape was added again to all sub layouts (including the "new" title layout master).

Bottom line: I could not recreate the scenario you refer to. in addition, the recreated Title master I created by choosing Insert Layout (from the Slide Master ribbon) works as a new Title master in exactly the same way as the original did.

I'm not disputing your findings, but the above is simply the result of my observations (using Office 365, BTW).

Cheers :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.