What Speed Test Do You Use?

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

What Speed Test Do You Use?

Post by BobH »

I just switched ISPs. I'd like to test their speed. What site or software do you use? Is there any special way to read the results?

I tried Ookla and got 48-49 Mbps for download speed. I'm supposed to have gotten 600 Mbps. My guess is that I'm doing something wrong. It's my understanding that download speeds should be much much higher than upload speeds yet Ookla results for me were very close.

:scratch:

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

HansV
Administrator

Re: What Speed Test Do You Use?

Post by HansV »

Is your computer wired directly to the router, or do you use WiFi? Speeds over WiFi are generally lower than wired connections.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I am indeed wifi connected. I'll plug in a short RJ45 and give it another test.

Thanks, Mr. V!!! :wine:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

If you are using a VPN, try testing with it turned off. My speeds are faster with it off. Assuming you have a dual band router, you may also want to speed test both the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz WiFi bands of your router. I found the 5 GHz band significantly faster in my set-up. YMMV.

Activity over your network is also a factor while running a speed test. Bandwidth is a shared commodity so if someone is streaming IPTV, downloading an HD movie or playing a video game over the internet, that will have an impact on your results.

BTW, I also use Ookla.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.