(Win7HP) FileExplorer - Expanding folders by Keyboard

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

(Win7HP) FileExplorer - Expanding folders by Keyboard

Post by ChrisGreaves »

OK all you Windows-know-it-alls.
Please and Thank you, what is the keyboard shortcut or keystroke to do the equivalent of the mouse (a) clicking on the little dart to the left or (b) double-clicking on the folder name. in order to expand the folder listing in that left hand pane.
Expand.png
In this example, I have managed to display the nine sub-folders of folder “20190726” by double-clicking on the “20190726” folder name.
I know that a double-click is twice as expensive as a single click, but the folder name is a much bigger target than the dart.
Thanks
Chris.
For bonus points, what is/are the keystrokes to reverse the process, to collapse folder 20190726 back to a single folder?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: (Win7HP) FileExplorer - Expanding folders by Keyboard

Post by Argus »

Since you're navigating in the tree to the left, how about right-arrow, and left-arrow to reverse?
(And of course you then navigate using letters.)
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:Since you're navigating in the tree to the left, how about right-arrow, and left-arrow to reverse?
Now Argus, as you know, no-one likes a know-all.
But in my case I’ll make an exception for YOU! :clapping:
“... how about right-arrow, and left-arrow to reverse? (And of course you then navigate using letters.)”
Although this brought me close to tears on account of me slapping my head while saying “Why didn’t I think of that?”, and a second slap for “Of Course! It’s obvious, innit!”

Cheers
Navigator Chris
P.S. Now that the letter “B” takes me to “T:\Batlap\” and “T:\Blotter\”, how do I navigate away from drive T: folders to drive B:?
(I already tried all eight combinations of Ctrl, Shift, Alt. Also collapsing drive T: (with left-arrow) and then “B”.)

Thanks again, and again, and again, ...

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If typing a letter doesn't work, you can use the up arrow and down arrow keys to navigate.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:If typing a letter doesn't work, you can use the up arrow and down arrow keys to navigate.
Not good enough for a power-hungry geek like me, Hans (Huge Grin!).
I was looking for something astoundingly clever, such as ":B" to go to a drive named B.
Thanks
Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't think there is something like that, but perhaps someone will surprise us!
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:I don't think there is something like that, but perhaps someone will surprise us!
I live in hope.
Chris

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

ChrisGreaves wrote:P.S. Now that the letter “B” takes me to “T:\Batlap\” and “T:\Blotter\”, how do I navigate away from drive T: folders to drive B:?
Not a quick solution but this appears to work for me:
Alt+D takes me to the path field
Typing <b:> would take me to drive B if I had one.

Edited to clarify: That is typing the letter B then a : (colon).

** You may need to enable 'Display the full path..." in your File Explore Options > View
x.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

ChrisGreaves wrote:“Of Course! It’s obvious, innit!”
[...]
P.S. Now that the letter “B” takes me to “T:\Batlap\” and “T:\Blotter\”, how do I navigate away from drive T: folders to drive B:?
(I already tried all eight combinations of Ctrl, Shift, Alt. Also collapsing drive T: (with left-arrow) and then “B”.)
(Yes, it's pretty obvious (:smugsmile: :laugh:), and works great in many places, such as, even if not used every day, the Registry Editor.)

When I navigate like that I would use the first letter in the volume labels (... that exist here). :grin:

Leif's suggestion works great as well. (Though at least here I don't have to enable full path in the title bar; not sure what it would add. In Windows 7 it's only there in the Classic theme, but perhaps you are running 7 in Windows Classic. Just tested ... that was a long time ago; it almost looks like Windows 10. :laugh:)

BTW, if you would like to scroll up or down the tree without shifting focus, moving away from the selected folder, hold down Ctrl while pressing Up or Down arrows.

We never know when a mouse decides it has had enough and stops working!
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Leif wrote:Not a quick solution but this appears to work for me:Alt+D takes me to the path field Typing <b:> would take me to drive B if I had one.
Brilliant.
More brilliant than the sunshine streaming down for the second day this month - if only because this neat trick will go on working as the days grow shorter and the nights grow longer.\

Thanks again, again, Leif :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:Since you're navigating in the tree to the left, how about right-arrow, and left-arrow to reverse?
I am now using the Alt-Left and Alt-Right keys to move through my “most recently used” list of folders, including drive letters! :thumbup:

Cheers
Chris