Molasses vs. Brown Sugar

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Molasses vs. Brown Sugar

Post by ChrisGreaves »

My mother (Lancashire) baked with Brown Sugar and Tate&Lyle Golden Syrup and Black Treacle.
Molasses was unknown in Southern Cross, Western Australia.
In North America I am forced (!) to bake with Brown Sugar and Molasses.
(In Bonavista we have Brown Sugar and “Lassy”.)

I have taken to adding a half-cup of molasses to recipes that, to my mind look better for being browner, especially ginger cookies and ginger cake.

Please and Thank You: What, if any, is the difference between Brown Sugar and Molasses in domestic baking?

Both are based on sugar, and cane sugar for all that.
I have a feeling that brown sugar is refined white sugar with colouring added.

Cheers
Chriks
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Molasses vs. Brown Sugar

Post by HansV »

See https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food- ... -sugar.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I have a feeling that brown sugar is refined white sugar with colouring added.

Cheers
Chriks
Thak ackounts for the kolour, but not thed grain! :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:See https://recipes.howstuffworks.com/food- ... -sugar.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks, Hans. Have you tried both Brown Sugar and Molasses in baking? And if so, did you notice any difference?
Thanks, Chris

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

No, I haven't actually tried that - one can get brown sugar in any supermarket here.
Best wishes,
Hans

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

Brown sugar has molasses added to refined white sugar.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:Brown sugar has molasses added to refined white sugar.
Thanks, PJ.
Have you ever experimented, substituting Molasses for Brown Sugar; or vice-versa?
Cheers
Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

My "cooking" is akin to taking what my angel (wife) has prepared and possibly heat a little more in the microwave. There are rumors of sightings of me blending a dry red with a little Moscato to sweeten up the glass a bit, but at this point they're just rumors.
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Taste both brown sugar and molasses on your fingertip. That should tell you how molasses will affect the taste of baked goods. There are various kinds of molasses ranging from light to black strap. Black strap molasses poured over butter, mashed and mixed thoroughly with a fork makes a great spread for bread and even better on toast. Of course, like Vegamite, it might be an acquired taste.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

BobH wrote:Taste both brown sugar and molasses on your fingertip. That should tell you how molasses will affect the taste of baked goods.
Now, why didn't ***I*** think of that. I figure that the cooking may well bring about a chemical reaction, but at the first level, considering swallowing a 1/2 cup of brown sugar vs. swallowing a 1/2 cup of molasses would be food for thought, if nothing else.
There are various kinds of molasses ranging from light to black strap.
The two supermarkets here hold three grades of molasses: $2.99 ("fancy"), $3.99 and $4.29. I have yet to try the other two (grin)
Black strap molasses poured over butter, mashed and mixed thoroughly with a fork makes a great spread for bread and even better on toast. Of course, like Vegamite, it might be an acquired taste.
The local caff serves, amongst other things, "lassie bread", also "Thunderin' flats". They don't use molasses, through; Grace leaves a small bowl under her van when she parks it at night.
IMG_20190701_094145335.jpg
At 9:40a.m. The Canada Day parade has just gone by. They hold this joyous celebration in the morning because in the afternoon they celebrate in mourning, Beaumont Hamel
IMG_20190701_094238715.jpg
The Visitor Information centre opens early. Beatrice's blue bicycle is evident.
Note, in passing, that the low cloud is evident, which means that the fog has lifted, and it is safe to walk home ...

Cheers
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.