Video Card Refresh Rate

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Video Card Refresh Rate

Post by hlewton »

I put new video cards in my desktop computers and viewed videos on how to do it. In the video, which was specific to the cards I purchased, it shows that the person installing them, after loading their drivers, set the refresh rate to 120 Hz. When I try to do that the only refresh rate I seem to have is 60 Hz. Since apparently the video card has that capability, what determines if I should have the option of variable refresh rates? Is it the specs of the monitor hooked to it or what? The monitor’s specifications say the refresh rate is 50 Hz – 75 Hz but again the only option I see is 60 Hz. Is this normal?
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Video Card Refresh Rate

Post by HansV »

Your monitor is not capable of 120 Hz; 60 Hz will be the only refresh rate available.
If you want to profit fully from your new video card's capabilities, you'd have to buy a monitor that supports 120 Hz or higher. But you probably won't notice it unless you play graphics-intensive computer games.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Re: Video Card Refresh Rate

Post by hlewton »

HansV wrote:Your monitor is not capable of 120 Hz; 60 Hz will be the only refresh rate available.
If you want to profit fully from your new video card's capabilities, you'd have to buy a monitor that supports 120 Hz or higher. But you probably won't notice it unless you play graphics-intensive computer games.
Thank you. I thought that may be the case. I never play games on my computers except Solitaire back in the very early days of my computer exposure. I bought these new video cards hoping to correct a problem where occasionally the screen would go black for a couple seconds before refreshing as it should. Hopefully this will fix that problem.
Regards,
hlewton