MS Office 2016 license - per user or per PC?

jmt356
SilverLounger

MS Office 2016 license - per user or per PC?

Post by jmt356 »

Does MS Office 2016 Professional come with a per-user license or a per-PC license? I want to be able to install it on my 4 laptops. Will each one require a separate license?

I currently have MS Office 2010 and have installed it on all my laptops without an issue.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: MS Office 2016 license - per user or per PC?

Post by HansV »

See MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS - OFFICE 2016 DESKTOP
This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device (…)
If you want to install and register Office 2016 Professional on multiple laptops, you will need a separate license for each.

Note that many Office 365 subscriptions allow you to install and use it on multiple devices.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Assuming you are upgrading, I agree with Hans's last statement; Office 365 is a very valid option and very cost effective with many more benefits.
For a simple cost comparison, see this web page, even though it is 2 years old.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

HansV wrote:See MICROSOFT SOFTWARE LICENSE TERMS - OFFICE 2016 DESKTOP
This license allows you to install only one instance of the software for use on one device (…)
If you want to install and register Office 2016 Professional on multiple laptops, you will need a separate license for each.
Is this policy enforced? According to https://products.office.com/en-us/office-2010" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, the license for MS Office 2010 is good for 1PC. However, I have I have MS Office 2010 Professional installed on several. When I cloned my laptop's image to my backup laptops, I did not encounter any issues with using Office on my other laptops and did not receive any prompts to uninstall Office on any of my devices to use it on others.

Is Office 2016 similar? Or does it require uninstalling on one device before being able to use on a second device?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know how strict they are, but if you install it on multiple devices, you're violating the license agreement.
Best wishes,
Hans