Another day without ice-cream ...

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Another day without ice-cream ...

Post by ChrisGreaves »

New oven; new mixer, ...
Bonavista_IMG_20190306_112101678.JPG
FWIW back in the Good Old days margarine could not be purchased in Canada; much as copha could not be purchased in Britain in the 1950s. My mother migrated to Australia largely because one could buy copha and hence make all sorts of chocolates with cocoa powder.

Newfoundland was a separate colony/country until 1949 when it allowed as how it would join Canada, rather than join the USA (a narrow margin nonetheless), but insisted that it be allowed to retain its margarine factory in St John’s. A bit like Western Australia insisting on equal representation in the senate in 1901.
Which meant that part of Canada would be allowed to manufacture and consume margarine, and the idea spread, in a manner of speaking, that if Newfoundland was allowed to have margarine, well so should The Rest of Canada.
So all those of you who live in Prince Rupert and Telegraph Creek British Columbia say “Thank You, Newfoundland”
Bonavista_IMG_20190306_113135573.JPG
Chomps!
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

HansV
Administrator

Re: Another day without ice-cream ...

Post by HansV »

For those who, like me, don't know what copha is: here is the Wikipedia article on Copha.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

ChrisGreaves wrote:Back in the Good Old days margarine could not be purchased in Canada; much as copha could not be purchased in Britain in the 1950s.
This does not surprise me because nobody in Britain, either then or now, has ever heard of copha. It is apparently a bizarre local Australian brand, much like Vegemite is!

"Vegetable shortening is a white, solid fat made from vegetable oils. In the UK it is sold under the brand names Trex, Flora White or Cookeen."
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

John Gray wrote:This does not surprise me because nobody in Britain, either then or now, has ever heard of copha. It is apparently a bizarre local Australian brand, much like Vegemite is! "Vegetable shortening is a white, solid fat made from vegetable oils. In the UK it is sold under the brand names Trex, Flora White or Cookeen."
Hans, thanks for the link.

John, thanks for the elucidation.
Maybe my mother wasn't quite as smart as I took her to be.

I do remember her being delighted at Copha. Perhaps she just didn;t know about vegetable shortening - she was Lancashire after all, and used only three types of shortening - Beef Dripping, Beef Dripping, and Beef Dripping -.
Maybe it was the good ladies of the CWA who introduced her to Copha; perhaps she just wasn't aware of vegetable shortening before then.

Just another example of one of "memory's tricks".

Cheers
Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

ChrisGreaves wrote:...
Which meant that part of Canada would be allowed to manufacture and consume margarine, and the idea spread, in a manner of speaking, that if Newfoundland was allowed to have margarine, well so should The Rest of Canada.
So all those of you who live in Prince Rupert and Telegraph Creek British Columbia say “Thank You, Newfoundland”
Chomps!
Chris
Chris,

So sorry to see you go, and so young, too!

A few more pounds of those trans fats and the local fire brigade will be called to your domicile to flush you out or cart you away.

That said - JUST SAY NO!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

HansV wrote:For those who, like me, don't know what copha is: here is the Wikipedia article on Copha.
OMG! That's even worst than margarine! Do Newf's have a perennial death wish, perhaps sorrowful over their poor decision to turn north instead of south when they made their choice?

Chris, turn back before you're assimilated!!!!!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:... That said - JUST SAY NO!
Well, PJ, What part of the subject line escaped your notice? :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Bonavista_IMG_20190317_085101191.JPG
So I am baking a loaf a day while I get used to the oven, and I can’t eat a loaf of bread each day, three slices at a time, spread with raspberry jam, orange marmalade, or green relish. The answer is to make a Bread and Butter Pudding. This little beauty started off as one pound of stale bread. I added a custard of milk and eggs, sugar, raisins, left it to soak overnight and then popped it in the oven for this morning’s baking session.
Bonavista_IMG_20190317_090717368.JPG
That done, I used the already-hot oven to do another dozen ginger-snap cookies. Just in case I get tired of eating home-made bread.
Cheers to all (except PJ)
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
PJ_in_FL wrote:... That said - JUST SAY NO!
Well, PJ, What part of the subject line escaped your notice? :evilgrin:
Cheers
Chris
And that wasn't your bread loaded with trans-fat spread in the first post?
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PJ_in_FL wrote:And that wasn't your bread loaded with trans-fat spread in the first post?
Yes, it’s true. Bread, Margarine, factory-made Raspberry Jam, these all have their detractors, but keep your eye on the ball – I am eating a lot less ice-cream these days.

Besides which, as every maritimer whaler and sealer blubbers, "Layering is more than just clothes"!

Cheers
Chris

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

I'm trying to get to the HEART of the matter, Chris!
PJ in (usually sunny) FL