application unable to start

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

application unable to start

Post by stuck »

According to this article:
https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... 5ff57fab37
The issue behind a dialog that says 'The application was unable start correctly (0xc000142). Click OK to close the application.' was fixed way back in March 2018, with Office 2016, ver 1803.

In my experience that's not true.

I have Office 2016 ver 1812 and I get that error every now and then. After restarting the PC the problem goes away until it happens again. I can't see any pattern to what triggers the error.

Meanwhile, I'm off to restart my PC...

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Re: application unable to start

Post by HansV »

Have you tried repairing Office from the Programs and Features control panel or from Settings > Apps?
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Not recently. I think I did that the first time I got this error several months ago and that semed to cure it but only until the December update arrived. Perhaps the next update will help.

It's an irritation but it is intermittent and so far a restart has made it go away. I just wondered if anybody else here had seen this error. Ther are lots of hits if you Google the error code but none thsat I've looked at have given a definitive root cause.

Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I have seen this happen when a program such as Outlook or Word is terminated. The UI part goes away but the program does not completely quit. If you use task manager you can see it still running. Terminating it via task manager seems to resolve the issue. I don't know why the program does not completely quit.
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

JoeP wrote:I have seen this happen when a program such as Outlook or Word is terminated. The UI part goes away but the program does not completely quit. If you use task manager you can see it still running. Terminating it via task manager seems to resolve the issue. I don't know why the program does not completely quit.
In my case though I've only seen this happen after booting from cold, never after using an Office application, quiting it and then restarting later. Outlook is usually the first application to get opened but if Outlook fails with that error so then does any other Office app, until I restart and then (to date anyway) all is well.

However! That made me wonder if 'fast start-up' was enabled. It was (even though in the past I've disabled it). I've disabled it again, I'll see if that helps and (try to remember to) report back in a few days time.

Thanks,

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

OK, so it's been more than a few days but I'm pleased to report that I've not seen this error since I disabled 'fast start-up'.

Ken