Back Again with a BlueTooth Problem

BobH
UraniumLounger

Back Again with a BlueTooth Problem

Post by BobH »

In an earlier post I described having to add a USB BT dongle as the laptop I'm using has no native BT capability. In that post I told of not being able to pair a set of BT headphones with the laptop. I embarrassed myself by failing to be certain the headphones were not paired with another device, ie, my iPhone. Well, this time I checked to be sure the iPhone and headphones were not paired. In fact my iPhone BT function is turned off; however, I cannot pair the headphones with the BT dongle. The tool tray shows that BT is functioning and the dongle is flashing its blue light.

Can anyone suggest other things I should try to get the headphones to pair?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Back Again with a BlueTooth Problem

Post by JoeP »

Does your PC show as discoverable?
Joe

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, Joe!

Yes, when I click on the BT tool icon in the tool tray and then click Add a BT Device I get a Settings screen that shows BT is On and the PC device name as discoverable.

Is that what you meant in your question?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Yep. That was it. Do you have to do anything special to get the headphones to pair?
Joe

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

We have a sound bar for our TV which as Bluetooth but it's a bit fiddly to get a smart phone to pair with it. First you have to ensure it's in BT mode, which makes the display say 'pairing' and at that point it becomes visible to the smart phones BUT it won't actually pair until you then press the 'pair' button on it.

Perhaps your dongle is a bit like that, i.e. turning on the dongle makes it visible to other BT devices but no connection will be made until you do something else in the dongle settings?

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Ken!

That jogged my feeble brain and I found a page that contains the following steps which worked:
1. Plug the dongle into a USB port.
2. Click the Start menu.
3. Click Settings.
4. Click Bluetooth & other devices.
5. Turn on Bluetooth.
6. Click Add Bluetooth or other device.
7. Click Bluetooth.
8. Select the device and pair.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)