Search Index rebuilt after each Windows 10 update

jmt356
SilverLounger

Search Index rebuilt after each Windows 10 update

Post by jmt356 »

I upgraded to Windows 10, version 1709 in January and then to version 1803 earlier this month. Each time, Windows took several days to rebuild my entire Search Index. My computer has spent the last 3 days rebuilding my Index and it slows down my productivity enormously. I cannot find many items in Outlook, for example, and need to search for them manually. Each time Windows wants to install an update, I run into this issue and the attendant inconveniences.

Is there a way to prevent Windows from losing and rebuilding my Index each time Windows installs an update?
Regards,

JMT

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Search Index rebuilt after each Windows 10 update

Post by JoeP »

What files and folders do you have Windows index?
Joe

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I use "Everything", it does not use the indexing of Windows and is much better.
You will never use the Windows search again.

Make sure that you download the right one, if using a 32 bit system do not try to install the 64 bit version.

See https://www.voidtools.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

NOTE, this must be installed for EACH user as there is no all user option.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Joe, I have MS Outlook, Start Menu and everything in Users (Documents, Music, etc.) with the exception of AppData set to be indexed.

DaveA:
- Does “Everything” permit instant searches?
- Can it be used to search Outlook PSTs, including Inboxes, Sent Items and Contacts?
- Can Everything search the contents of files (Word documents, PDFs, etc.) or only the file names?
- Is Everything integrated into each program do is it a standalone product that I need to launch each time I need to run a search? For example, can the search be used within the Outlook search bar, within File Explorer windows, etc.?
- After installing Everything, do you turn off Windows search? If so, how? When I disable Windows search, it automatically enables itself within 5 to 10 minutes thereafter.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

This should answer most of your questions https://www.voidtools.com/faq/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
But I will answer what I do know:
- Does “Everything” permit instant searches? YES
- Can it be used to search Outlook PSTs, including Inboxes, Sent Items and Contacts? Never tried
- Can Everything search the contents of files (Word documents, PDFs, etc.) or only the file names? YES, have used it many times, but it in the Advance area
- Is Everything integrated into each program do is it a standalone product that I need to launch each time I need to run a search? For example, can the search be used within the Outlook search bar, within File Explorer windows, etc.? NO, I have it on my Task bar
- After installing Everything, do you turn off Windows search? If so, how? When I disable Windows search, it automatically enables itself within 5 to 10 minutes thereafter. Never tried turning off Windows search,

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I want the convenience of a search software that is already integrated into all my apps, but I don't want Windows to have to rebuild the index each time it updates. I already am being prompted that Windows is going to install a new update after less than 3 weeks from the last update to version 1803.

Is there any way to prevent Windows from having to rebuild the index each time? I don't believe it is possible to turn off updates on Windows 10.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

rebuild the index each time?
Please define "each time", is that each time you open search or after each Windows update or what?

Windows 10 Pro you can control when the updates are to be done, but not in the Home version.
I do NOT have a Pro version so I can not tell you the steps.

Remember that the update of the index needs to be done to include any NEW files and data added or deleted in any edited file.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

By "each time," I mean each time Windows updates. As I recall, the entire index had to be rebuilt after Windows updated to Windows 10 Home version 1803. However, there was a more recent Windows update that occurred within the past few weeks and it did not cause my entire index to be rebuilt, so it does not appear that this is happening each time, but it does happen frequently when Windows updates.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

With the half-yearly updates (1703, 1709, 1803), Windows is reinstalled from scratch: the old version is moved to Windows.old, and the new version is installed in the Windows folder.
The updates in between just update some of the Windows files, so they're much less drastic.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

This problem goes back more than two years, since June 2018, and it continues.

I am constantly getting Windows updates. About once per week, I get a message about Windows installing an update and then Windows automatically restarts and installs it.

Just now, Windows automatically installed feature update to Windows 10, version 2004. I lost my entire Index and Windows now needs to rebuild it from scratch.

After the feature update, Windows Windows deleted my Update History (other than showing the feature update), so I cannot verify every update that was recently installed, but I do know that the following were recently installed:
- Sun., 4 Oct. 2020: feature update to Windows 10, version 2004;
- Tues., 29 Sept. 2020: Windows Cumulative update;
- Sun., 20 Sept. 2020: Update for Windows 10 Version 1903.

I am running Windows 10 Pro.

I recall on another thread I asked about this problem and was told that Windows should only be installing updates on Patch Tuesday (the second Tuesday of the month). I have had 3 updates installed in the last two weeks alone, and none of them were on Patch Tuesday (Tues., 8 Sept.). Is this some kind of a defect in my copy of Windows? Can it be fixed?

I think I can tolerate a major Windows update followed by a rebuild of my Index once per month, but this constant, arbitrary installation of updates is not manageable.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The major updates for Windows 10, such as the 'feature update to Windows 10, version 2004', install a complete new version of Windows (the previous version can be found for a few days in the Windows.old folder). So after such an update, your update history will be empty.
If this year is like last year, the big update for the second half of this year (named 20H2) will not really be a major one, so it should preserve your update history.

This is my update history since version 2004 was installed. My date format is dd-mm-yyyy.

S3556.png

As you see, there are only updates on the second Tuesday of the month...
I don't remember losing the search index after these updates...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

How can I get Windows to install updates on only the second Tuesday of the month? I just installed a major update and already Windows is stating that another update is due and pending a restart. Windows Update states:

2020-09 Cumulative Update for .NET Framework 3.5 and 4.8 for Windows 10 Version 2004 for x64 (KB4576478)

It seems I am installing updates every few days. It is extremely disruptive.
Regards,

JMT

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

jmt356 wrote:
04 Oct 2020, 23:10
It seems I am installing updates every few days. It is extremely disruptive.
Maybe the solution is to manage your work so that a quick reboot of your PC is less disruptive. It just takes a few minutes for me to reboot my laptop, including opening all the documents and web sites that I like to keep around.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Or pause updates for 4 or 5 weeks at a time, then at a convenient moment, resume updates and then check for updates.

(You can click 'Pause updates for 7 days up to 5 times)

S3558.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

How is it that others are able to get their computers to install updates only once per month by default and my computer installs them so much more frequently?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't know. I do frequently get updates of Microsoft's apps, but Windows and .NET updates only on the scheduled dates...
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Some of the updates include "Defender" and they can be daily but should not affect the Indexing.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

DaveA wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 15:34
Some of the updates include "Defender" and they can be daily but should not affect the Indexing.
True but I never see such updates, they are completely silent. Like Hans I get the monthly updates once a month, and they take only minutes to install, including the inevitable restart(s). Unlike Hans but like JMT356, I have Win 10 Pro.

Could part of the problem be that JMT356 is clicking 'check for updates' every day? I never touch that button.

Ken

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

stuck wrote:
05 Oct 2020, 16:21
Could part of the problem be that JMT356 is clicking 'check for updates' every day? I never touch that button.
I think that's unlikely - as far as I can tell, he would get the monthly updates on the second Tuesday of the month, not spread out over the month...
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I usually get one reboot-update each month, on the second Tuesday or Wednesday of the month. There are also occasionally other updates that need a reboot, including one a couple of days ago that affected all of my Windows 10 Home computers.
StuartR