Friends & Foes

Samantha
3StarLounger

Friends & Foes

Post by Samantha »

Is a "friend" designation here in the Lounge a mutual-admiration society, like in some social networking sites? When we choose a friend in our profiles, do we have to wait until our overture is accepted, or do we end up quietly stalking our new friend, unbeknownst to them?

I can't imagine ever tagging someone here as a "foe." That would feel like disowning a family member. No matter how weird and irritating Cousin Fanny might be, she's still part of the family, and you take the good with the bad.

I suppose that eventually someone might wander in who isn't a good fit for Eileen's Lounge, but I'd rather let the Admins deal with those sorts and not start designating foes on my own. Besides, I can easily skip over a post by someone I find irritating, but I want the choice to make that decision on the spot, and not have it edited out before-hand.
Samantha

Wendell
4StarLounger

Re: Friends & Foes

Post by Wendell »

The "friends and foes" bit seems to be a trend in forum software - guess they are trying to complete with Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc.
Wendell
You can't see the view if you don't climb the mountain!

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Samantha wrote:I can't imagine ever tagging someone here as a "foe."
I gave it a shot on Monday, asked someone here (Who I shan't name so as not to embarrass Skitterbug) if she'd be my FOE, and she gracefully declined.
I mean, when people start turning me down as a FOE, what chance do I have? :shrug:
P.S. before you ask, No, I do NOT want YOU as a foe; as you once told me - with you as my friend I won't miss my foes .....
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Wendell wrote:The "friends and foes" bit seems to be a trend in forum software - guess they are trying to complete with Facebook, MySpace, LinkedIn, etc.
Probably right.
Perhaps it could be tagged for an eventual "cleanup" chore, if that's possible.
We're all friends here. With friends, who needs foes? (or however that
adage goes?) :thumbup:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Samantha wrote:I can't imagine ever tagging someone here as a "foe."
I gave it a shot on Monday, asked someone here (Who I shan't name so as not to embarrass Skitterbug) if she'd be my FOE, and she gracefully declined.
I mean, when people start turning me down as a FOE, what chance do I have? :shrug:
P.S. before you ask, No, I do NOT want YOU as a foe; as you once told me - with you as my friend I won't miss my foes .....
I'm not embarrassed Chris to say I didn't want to accept an invitation to be a FOE with you! Friends is ....ummmm...good enough! :grin:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Since we're all friends here, we don't really need a "Friends & Foes" option. The admins have turned it off, so you won't see a Friends & Foes section in your User Control Panel anymore.

I apologize to those who had gleefully anticipated making foes here... :evilgrin:
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

An excellent and rapid decision, as seems to be the case almost without exception in The Lounge!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

TonyE
3StarLounger

Post by TonyE »

HansV wrote:Since we're all friends here, we don't really need a "Friends & Foes" option. The admins have turned it off
Why not replace it with "friends and more friends", since the friends section will fill up pretty quickly and we will need an overflow section :grin:
Tony

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Or "Good friends" and "Very good friends"...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Or "Good friends" and "Very good friends"...
Well, why not, then, a Flowers Forum for those of us who have an-enemies?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

And one "We're Just Good Friends"...! :blush:
John Gray

VegasNath
5StarLounger

Post by VegasNath »

HansV wrote:Since we're all friends here, we don't really need a "Friends & Foes" option. The admins have turned it off, so you won't see a Friends & Foes section in your User Control Panel anymore.

I apologize to those who had gleefully anticipated making foes here... :evilgrin:
Darn :exclamation: :exclamation: Does that mean that I am now going to start seeing Chris's post's again? :evilgrin:
:wales: Nathan :uk:
There's no place like home.....

GeoffW
PlatinumLounger

Post by GeoffW »

The "Foes" could have been better named as "ignore user", so posts from that user do not show.

But as we never ever want to ignore any user, it's better to stay turned off.

I've seen it in other forums, but, no matter how irritating a user may be, there may well be posts which contribute to the discussion- so I've never used the option.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

VegasNath wrote:Darn :exclamation: :exclamation:
Please ask Skitterbug to lobby for a sock-mending forum on your behalf.
VegasNath wrote:... start seeing Chris's post's again?
...and Esmerelda's!
P.S. If you want a good foe, I have a spare FWIW (ugh!)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

GeoffW wrote:The "Foes" could have been better named as "ignore user", so posts from that user do not show.
Annibale wrote:"It's rather a nice point. I don't like to express an opion off-hand. Suppose we reserve it for argument before the full Court?" (G&S "The Gondoliers, Act II)
In a way, one could argue that the migration to Eileen's Lounge is in effect a setting to "Foe" of the remaining contributors in any-other-place.
Quantities may vary, but for those of us who no longer vist any-other-place, we have voted with our keyboards, cutting off communication as effectively as if there were an almost-global "Foe" setting, er; elsewhere.
Quantities WILL vary; I continue to receive the odd email notification, and other-places are still available for searches ... but I have turned my back, as have, I suppose, many others.
Google-VBA is another example. I search there, but do not login or post. In effect I have declared all Google-VBA contributors to be "Foe".
As have lurkers in any BBS or online forum.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Please note that there is no objection against being active both here and in other discussion forums, including the Windows Secrets Lounge. Some of us have chosen not to be participate actively in the Windows Secrets Lounge anymore, but that is a personal decision, not a policy.
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

HansV wrote:Please note that there is no objection against being active both here and in other discussion forums, including the Windows Secrets Lounge.
In practice, how could it be any other way - without active surveillance by the Internet Police! :cop:
John Gray

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

VegasNath wrote:
Darn :exclamation: :exclamation: Does that mean that I am now going to start seeing Chris's post's again? :evilgrin:
Nathan, as long as you keep that lovely smile on your face, exclaim away~!~!
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:Since we're all friends here, we don't really need a "Friends & Foes" option. The admins have turned it off, so you won't see a Friends & Foes section in your User Control Panel anymore.

Fee Fi Fo Fum :pun:
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image