Missing features in other browsers keep me from leaving IE

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Missing features in other browsers keep me from leaving IE

Post by ErikJan »

I've been using IE for many (many) years now (and I'm happy with that). I do realize that I need to migrate to a more modern (and faster) platform one day. I'd be OK with e.g. Edge. ALL browsers I've tried miss two features I use in IE daily however and I can't imagine how other people do this. Maybe I'm blind to great and better alternatives here but let me explain:

1. When I'm on a page I want to quickly save a shortcut to that page on my desktop (so I can e.g. continue reading another time). In IE, I right-click the page and choose "Create Shortcut". Piece of cake, split second (there's quite some of these shortcuts on my desktop for site I use regularly; and yes, I know about Favorites ;-)).

2. I also often want to send a link to someone else by email (to alert them to the page/site). In IE, I go to the Page menu (top right of my IE window) and select "Send link by e-mail...". Also here, piece of cake, very fast.

Anyone who can tell me how to do this in e.g. Chrome or, preferably, in Edge?? I don't think that what I use almost daily here is so odd... or is it?

Argus
GoldLounger

Re: Missing features in other browsers keep me from leaving

Post by Argus »

ErikJan wrote:1. When I'm on a page I want to quickly save a shortcut to that page on my desktop (so I can e.g. continue reading another time). In IE, I right-click the page and choose "Create Shortcut". Piece of cake, split second (there's quite some of these shortcuts on my desktop for site I use regularly; and yes, I know about Favorites ;-)).
Well, if it's for the Desktop, I can drag the icon in the address bar and drop it there to create a shortcut in Firefox as quick if not quicker.
ErikJan wrote:2. I also often want to send a link to someone else by email (to alert them to the page/site). In IE, I go to the Page menu (top right of my IE window) and select "Send link by e-mail...". Also here, piece of cake, very fast.
In Firefox there's a similar shortcut in Archive menu, send link by e-mail. (But I just press F6 and Ctrl-C, and then paste it in an email, since intuitive, and not involving the browser starting or calling the mail program.)

I'm sure there is something similar in Edge or Chrome.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Chrome works pretty much the same way as Argus described for Firefox.

- Drag the icon from the address bar to the desktop to create a shortcut. (You can click the three-dots menu, click "More tools", click "Add to desktop", and click the Add button, but why bother??)

- Press F6 (or Alt+D) and Ctrl+C, and paste into an email. Chrome doesn't have a menu item for this, and I don't see an extension that does it, although you could probably whip up something in AutoHotKey and assign a hotkey to run it.

ErikJan
5StarLounger

Post by ErikJan »

OK, thanks... Anyone with tips for Edge?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Edge is seriously deficient in this respect. You can pin a web page to the Start menu/pane or to the Taskbar, but it currently doesn't offer an easy way to create a shortcut on the desktop or elsewhere.
Edge does have a Share button, but it wants to use the People app; there is no "Send" option.

I fear it will be a long time before Edge catches up to IE, Firefox and Chrome, if ever...
Best wishes,
Hans

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

Use the Share feature in Edge. It is to the right of the web address and contains several methods.

Several ways to save web addresses. See Windows 10 Tip: Declutter Microsoft Edge by Setting Tabs Aside. Also, you can use the "More" option (the ellipsis) and select "Pin to Start" or "Pin to Taskbar". Also, you can pin tabs in Edge - see How To Pin & Unpin Tabs In Microsoft Edge In Windows 10.
Joe