DD-WRT on WiFi Routers

BobH
UraniumLounger

DD-WRT on WiFi Routers

Post by BobH »

Does anyone here have experience using DD-WRT on their wifi router?

I've done some reading on the 'Net and gained some information (but certainly no measurable knowledge) on the subject. What I've learned is that there are many articles, how-to's, wikis, et al out there. There is also a site, DD-WRT.com that has compiled a great deal of data about hardware and gives guidance on do's and don'ts.

Basically, DD-WRT is firmware based on Linux that was originally made for Linksys WRT routers. One can download the firmware and flash their router to upgrade the OEM software and gain additional functions, but one can also brick their router if they choose the wrong firmware version for their hardware. It requires knowing things like the chipset manufacturer and version, the amount of memory, and other arcane bits. Not all routers are compatible with DD-WRT.

I'm still stumbling around trying to educate myself on the subject. The additional functionality I seek is to have every device on my network capable of accessing the 'Net via IPN instead of having to license and install client software on every device. It is my understanding that this is possible with DD-WRT but I do not know if there are limitations or prerequisites that might preclude my being able to do it.

I would appreciate public or private dialog with anyone who has been down this road before me and can share information about what to watch for and watch out for in the process.
:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Re: DD-WRT on WiFi Routers

Post by StuartR »

Not something I've ever tried Bob, but most routers are cheap enough that it can't hurt to try and see what happens.
StuartR

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Wikipedia has a reasonable explanation about Sebastian's idea which LinkSys has taken on board last year.

However, rather than asking around these neck of the woods, why not join the DD-WRT community and ask questions in their forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a helpful response over there rather than in here IMHO Bob.
Cheers, Claude.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I tried (one build of) DD-WRT on an old router a couple of years ago. As you say, it is important, required, to know a bit about which hardware, revision etc. as well as how to do it (including restoring OEM firmware etc.).

At the time I was moving to a new router since my old one (and the OEM updates) didn't work well after I had changed to 100 Mbps. I can't remember exactly but that build of DD-WRT didn't change much in terms of speed (as for features, it was the smallest build, "micro", 4 MB memory), and anyhow I needed some of the features in the new one, and that one has been working all OK.

That said, I have been thinking about trying to brick my router :grin: Tomato or LEDE, a fork of OpenWrt. I agree with Claude that you probably can get good response in their forum.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Claude wrote:Wikipedia has a reasonable explanation about Sebastian's idea which LinkSys has taken on board last year.

However, rather than asking around these neck of the woods, why not join the DD-WRT community and ask questions in their forum, you'll have a much better chance of getting a helpful response over there rather than in here IMHO Bob.
I did that before asking here, Claude; however, I ran into issues with their website. I could see that my registration had taken and activated by viewing the member list but could not subsequently find a login panel, only the Register process. Attempts to contact them have failed to date.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

BobH wrote:I did that before asking here, Claude; however, I ran into issues with their website. I could see that my registration had taken and activated by viewing the member list but could not subsequently find a login panel, only the Register process. Attempts to contact them have failed to date.
Not obvious Bob, I agree: After selecting the relevant forum, clicking on "new topic" gets you to the log in screen before you can post a question.

Good luck !
Cheers, Claude.

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

BobH wrote:[...] I could see that my registration had taken and activated by viewing the member list but could not subsequently find a login panel, only the Register process. Attempts to contact them have failed to date.
There is a login box at the bottom of the page; it doesn't work?
Or do as Claude says.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thank you, gentlemen!

I was apparently blind to the login placed at the bottom of the page. I have been able to log in and will continue to pursue information there.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)