Safely Remove Ext Drive Question

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Safely Remove Ext Drive Question

Post by CraigS26 »

Lately I've had no trouble Removing TWO Western Digital Bkup Drives - IF - I Clk "QUIT Malwarebytes" first; THAT luxury has disappeared.

Hi-Light Drive J: / Properties / Hardware Tab / Policies ... shows a Quick Removal Policy.

Quick Removal shows as The DEFAULT, yet Many users post about Not being able to achieve the "Safe To Remove" OK.

I JUST discovered the Default Quick Removal Policy BUT am STILL SCARED to pull the drive.
Any Thoughts are appreciated!!
REMOVAL POLICY - MyPASSPORT J QUICK.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Win 10 Pro 22H2 | ESET EIS Prem | Mbam Prem | Diskeeper Pro '15 | Macrium Pd v8

HansV
Administrator

Re: Safely Remove Ext Drive Question

Post by HansV »

Quick Removal is generally safe to use.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

On the opposite end, I got smacked by quick removal and lost a number of files (though this is years ago when USB was new). I developed a habit and to this day just naturally remove it safely from the tray! It only takes 5 seconds to do. I've never been burnt again!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Rudi wrote:On the opposite end, I got smacked by quick removal and lost a number of files (though this is years ago when USB was new). I developed a habit and to this day just naturally remove it safely from the tray! It only takes 5 seconds to do. I've never been burnt again!
Thanks to both of you. It DOES take 5 seconds when the system RELEASES the Drive .... I've been Clk'ing for 3 hours and this being my Lucky Forum, the Drive just Released WITH Malwarebytes Security App still active. The Threat of Locking up the Drive -- by uncoupling with "Drive In Use" popups still occurring-- is always in my mind, yet I wonder WHY the "Quick Release" Policy exists IF you can't use it safely.

The Western Digital Forum is unpredictable on specific, usable answers but I've posted there as well.

I'll post back IF I get a Definitive Answer about the Quick Release Policy being usable. All the Best!

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

I Didn't get a "Disconnect" blessing from the WD staff-er who Replied, so it seems the Quck Release" Policy is just "words"..

Some of his comments for any future reader ....
Bill_SWDStaff .....[ Well, I can tell you that if you just pull the cable (or thumb drive) without safely removing it, first, you run the risk of corrupting the drive and losing the data on it. Especially after copying data to the drive. Make sure that any programs that use the drive are closed, especially after transferring data to the drive. See if that helps. ]

[ Well, the thing with external drives is the buffer. It's the data left in the buffer, that can cause the corruption if you just jerk the cable.
(Me) BTW, Win 7 Safely Release hasn't worked in 200 years - it's the WD Quick View Icon in Sys Tray that I use.
I use it all the time and it works fine for me. You may be looking at other OS issues. I would look into what bloatware you got running that could cause these problems.

The old "Bloatware" catch-all answer solves this issue every time ... just wish I knew what it was.

Thanks again for the Replies. How you navigate over all of these Forums and help us is amazing.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Even if you turn on Quick Removal, you still have to make sure that any programs that use the drive are closed, and that copy operations have finished.
And it is never a good idea to edit documents directly on a USB stick. Always copy a document to your hard disk, edit and save it there, then copy it back.
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

I agree with Hans' last comment.

Personally, I haven't had any problems with Windows 7 and external drives/USB-sticks in this respect. But then I try to avoid having many third party applications running in the background, and as Rudi, I remove it safely from the tray.
And sometimes, after, say, running some Powerpoint slides from an external memory, closing the file Explorer and if the OS will not let go of the USB-drive, via safe removal using the tray app, it can help to open Explorer and navigate somewhere else and then close it.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

HansV wrote:Even if you turn on Quick Removal, you still have to make sure that any programs that use the drive are closed, and that copy operations have finished.
And it is never a good idea to edit documents directly on a USB stick. Always copy a document to your hard disk, edit and save it there, then copy it back.
Finding the Programs that use the Drive is my Achilles heel. The WD Smartware app TELLS you when it's Backed-up All viewed Changes ((ie) Copy Completed), so when THAT occurs and I Disable the Real-time Monitoring of the C: drive by the App, I'm just not able to identify what may still be talking to the Ext Drive.
Thanks ...Point noted about Not Editing the Ext Drive ... it's occasionally by accident thinking I'm on the C: drive.
Argus wrote:I agree with Hans' last comment.
Personally, I haven't had any problems with Windows 7 and external drives/USB-sticks in this respect. But then I try to avoid having many third party applications running in the background, and as Rudi, I remove it safely from the tray.
And sometimes, after, say, running some Powerpoint slides from an external memory, closing the file Explorer and if the OS will not let go of the USB-drive, via safe removal using the tray app, it can help to open Explorer and navigate somewhere else and then close it.
Thanks, Argus. Most ALL of the Ext Drive use is just for Backup: the Western Dig Smartware App real-time monitors changes on the C: drive to Edit the Ext Drive.
Attempting with Process Explorer / Resource Monitor It's near impossible for me to find the app(s) using the Drive.
You'd think Turning OFF WD's Smartware App & Real-Time monitoring of changes would be the Key, but no luck there.
I'll press on and maybe it will start Releasing more readily after the current temper tantrum.
Thanks again to you all!!

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Just for reference (since you have been at the WD forum I assume you have looked at all kinds of support pages).
(I was looking for something else, but stumbled on this.)

How to physically connect, disconnect, and install a WD external drive on a Windows PC or Mac

Among other things they mention using the WD SmartWare in the tray to safely remove the drive. Why should one need third party software for something that is already there. I assume it is part of some backup software from WD. (Again, I try to have as little as possible running in the background.)

Unable to safely remove (unmount) a WD external drive in Windows

I didn't put much thought into my other post; I was reminded on the page above that it's not a good idea to have indexing enabled on the drive. :smile: And of course, some security software can also create problems.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

CraigS26
2StarLounger

Post by CraigS26 »

Argus wrote:Just for reference (since you have been at the WD forum I assume you have looked at all kinds of support pages).
(I was looking for something else, but stumbled on this.)

How to physically connect, disconnect, and install a WD external drive on a Windows PC or Mac

Among other things they mention using the WD SmartWare in the tray to safely remove the drive. Why should one need third party software for something that is already there. I assume it is part of some backup software from WD. (Again, I try to have as little as possible running in the background.)

Unable to safely remove (unmount) a WD external drive in Windows

I didn't put much thought into my other post; I was reminded on the page above that it's not a good idea to have indexing enabled on the drive. :smile: And of course, some security software can also create problems.
Looked at both Help Links - AND - will Cancel the Contents Indexing which I read should Include the Drive, Folders & sub-folders. Thanks, Argus.
On Friday I posted on the ESET Security Forum that my 3 Security Suite Network Modules (RED) had Stopped Working (not sure when as I rarely view that particular screen.
No Forum Response yet BUT today (Monday) the ESET Modules are Green again - AND - The Ext Drives are Releasing via the WD Sys Tray Icon (I Quit Mbam) and Turn Off Real-Time Monitoring by the WD Smartware App.
No way I'm researching a potential connection with ESET as that's way beyond my expertise. Happy I'm on a winning streak and maybe that's life with any 6-year old computer.

Thanks again to you 3 for all the help! Craig