Lifetime FREE!!! SSL/TLS for websites

Sam1085
3StarLounger

Lifetime FREE!!! SSL/TLS for websites

Post by Sam1085 »

What is SSL and Let’s Encrypt?

Every internet user shares lots of personal information each day. We do that when shopping online, creating accounts, signing into different websites, etc.
If not properly encrypted, then this information can be spied upon and stolen. This is where SSL comes in. It provides the encryption technology to secure the connection between a user’s browser and the web server.

Previously, the only way to secure sites with SSL/TLS was by using a paid SSL certificate.

Let’s Encrypt is a free open certificate authority that aims to provide SSL certificate for general public. It is a project of Internet Research Group, a public service corporation. Let’s Encrypt is sponsored by many companies including Google, Facebook, Mozilla, Hewlett Packard, Automattic and etc.

History of Let's Encrypt

On September 14, 2015, Let's Encrypt issued its first certificate, which was for the domain helloworld.letsencrypt.org. On the same day, ISRG submitted its root program applications to Mozilla, Microsoft, Google and Apple.

On October 19, 2015, the intermediate certificates became cross-signed by IdenTrust, causing all certificates issued by Let's Encrypt to be trusted by all major browsers.

On November 12, 2015, Let's Encrypt announced that general availability would be pushed back and that the first public beta will commence on December 3, 2015.

On December 3, 2015, Let's Encrypt announced commencement of the public beta.

On March 8, 2016, Let's Encrypt issued its millionth certificate after seven months of existence.

On April 12, 2016, Let's Encrypt left Beta.

On April 21, 2016, 44 days after issuing its millionth certificate, Let's Encrypt issued its 2 millionth certificate.[43] By June 3, 2016, Let's Encrypt issued over 4 million certificates.[44] As of June 22, 2016, Let's Encrypt has issued over 5 million certificates, of which 3.8 million are unexpired and unrevoked. Their active certificates cover more than 7 million unique domains, in part due to support by large hosting companies.

Currently Let's Encrypt issued over 10,000,000 certificates.

Resources:
Let’s Encrypt Official Website (https://letsencrypt.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)
Wikipedia
-Sampath-

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Lifetime FREE!!! SSL/TLS for websites

Post by StuartR »

I think that Lets Encrypt is a great idea. The only difficulty is the need to renew the certificate so frequently. Since the ISP for my web site doesn't provide any support for automatic renewal that meant I couldn't use one of these, but we are considering using it for this lounge.
StuartR

Sam1085
3StarLounger

Re: Lifetime FREE!!! SSL/TLS for websites

Post by Sam1085 »

Yah That's true. Also SSL certificate valid only for 90 days. My hosting provider (Inmotion Hosting) also not support LE yet. Hence I've to renew SSL manually. It's too bad.. :woops:
-Sampath-