OneNote 2016 Again

BobH
UraniumLounger

OneNote 2016 Again

Post by BobH »

Since last reporting that I would give OneNote a trial, I have done so and find that it offers some useful features for me because it interacts so smoothly with a sync'd smartphone; however, there is a quirk that I find annoying and cannot understand, id est, the absence of a calendar/appointment feature.

Is there something about OneNote that I have yet to learn that would magically, mysteriously, and marvelously (how's THAT for alliteration?) add a calendaring option to the ribbon?

I've read that it is integrated with Outlook and relies on it's calendaring functions, but I don't use Outlook nor do I want to start, preferring ThunderBird - hands down - over Outlook.

Anyone?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :clapping:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: OneNote 2016 Again

Post by Rudi »

Hi Bob,

I'm probably not the best one to answer this as I don't use OneNote, but as far as I have read and learned, Outlook is the time management and calendar component of OneNote. Without Outlook installed, you will lose this component of OneNote functionality. There are "add-ins" that are available to use other calendars, like Zapier to integrate Google Calendar with OneNote (for example), but unless one can find and use these, I'm afraid you will not have much luck using OneNote with time management capacity. (It is a sad scenario, given the hype, accessibility and usefulness of this app).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks, Rudi!

Yes, I think MS needs to get over its hubris and put a time management, calendaring in OneNote. The app is very very good for many things. I keep notes for my medical appointments in pages therein so I can be sure to remember all issues to cover with each of them. Adding calendar and appointment time seamlessly would really smooth out a bump for me. As it is now, I get a calendar from my online medical data provided by the group I'm with but it doesn't integrate with my smartphone or OneNote on it or my desktop. Otherwise, OneNote is the best PIM (remember that one) I've seen to date.

(BTW: I didn't find 'Rudi' in the puzzle, either.)
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Why don't you set up Outlook using some Throw away email account, then the calendar will be available to you.

I think once you start using Outlook you will like it. I have been using it since Windows 95 when it came out on a FREE CD.
Think I still have that CD around here some place.

I do not use but a little bit of the functions of Outlook, as far as I can see it is a powerful program.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living