OneNote 2010 and the insistent "free upgrade" prompt

kdock
5StarLounger

OneNote 2010 and the insistent "free upgrade" prompt

Post by kdock »

Back around the time Office 2013 was released, I started getting a prompt every now and then to update to a "free upgrade" of OneNote. When I installed it on a virtual machine, it was clear that the free upgrade is far less capable than OneNote 2010, and requires me to save to OneDrive.

So, why would I want this? I much prefer the feature set in OneNote 2010 and I don't save anything to OneDrive.

Is there any way to disable this prompt? There's no link labeled "No! Never! Get away from my computer!"

I can't find anything probative in the registry, nor in the program itself. And I wonder how many people were pleased and how many were miffed when they took this option...

Anyone have a solution? Or does this go down as just one more irksome thing MSFT foisted upon me in their desperate attempt to make me love OneDrive? :barf:
Thanks! Kim :bananas:
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

HansV
Administrator

Re: OneNote 2010 and the insistent "free upgrade" prompt

Post by HansV »

If I read How do I stop the notification of a free upgrade available to a new version of Onenote (current version 2010)? there is no way, or at least no easy way, to suppress the notifications. :sad:
Best wishes,
Hans

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Hi Hans, I was aware of that page and the fact that at a certain point Microsoft's support engineer simply stopped engaging with the subject. I guess that's a clear indication that there is no solution.

Well, it never hurts to ask.

Thanks! Kim
"Hmm. What does this button do?" Said everyone before being ejected from a car, blown up, or deleting all the data from the mainframe.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Anyone have a solution? Or does this go down as just one more irksome thing MSFT foisted upon me in their desperate attempt to make me love OneDrive?
Yes, upgrade to 2016, I do not have this issue using Office 365 :evilgrin: :flee: :grin:

That is all they want you to do, Upgrade!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

kdock
5StarLounger

Post by kdock »

Dave! So you've given in to their desperate attempt to make you love OneDrive? :evilgrin: Just not with the free version of OneNote.

Actually, I have 2010, 2013, and 2016 scattered about, so I know I don't >have< to give in and use OneDrive. I just don't understand MSFT's feeble yet annoying attempt to pull me there through OneNote, of all things. :scratch:

So I use 2010 on a daily basis because I love it. However, as my clients migrate, so do I. <sigh>

K

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

No, I do NOT use the Cloud for any file saving.
My Office 365 on my W10 machine, defaults to the local drive for all applications.

I have not upgraded from 2010 on the other machines, I could as I have a few more devices that I can install 365 on.
The wife still uses 2003 on her desktop and 2007 on here laptop.

If you have more than one version on the same machine, may be a issue.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I don't use the cloud for saving normal files.

I was using Evernote to store notes that I wanted to synchronise between PC, tablet and phone; but they have just changed their licensing so that the free version only supports two devices, so I have migrated all these notes to OneNote. I hadn't used OneNote before, but so far I am very happy with it.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I have been using OneNote for several years to support my genealogy research.
I have a Notebook for each Family Tree, then a section for each surname within that tree and then within the section I have a page for each person that I have found a bit of information on.

I also have several other Notebooks for several other reasons, including standard answers that I use at some help sites. This gives me quick access to copy and paste.