OneNote 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

OneNote 2016

Post by BobH »

Having never used OneNote and having recently installed Office 2016, I decided to do a test drive today.

I don't like it. No, not the application itself but the way MS makes you access it. On opening the program you are presented with a sign-in screen requiring your OneNote account email and password. Nothing wrong with that; if fact I would really be down on it if it had no password protection.

No, my problem is that the password panel does not allow pasting. I do not use passwords that I have to remember. I used complex, long passwords generated by a password generator. I keep this password wallet on a USB stick (with numerous redundant backups). I put a very few of them in a file on my iPhone (because it doesn't have USB capability, dammit SJ!!) and would have to include the OneNote pw there to use it, BUT (note the huge 'but') if the sign in panel doesn't allow me to paste, it makes entry too laborious and error prone making all my efforts to use strong, effective passwords moot.

Wonder who the idiot genius (yeah, right!) at MS was who decided to put this onus on the user. Has MS ever been confronted about this ((*&^(*^*& stupid approach and what did they say, I wonder?

To hades with it. It is good but it ain't THAT good.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: OneNote 2016

Post by HansV »

I moved your rant to the "Other MS Office Applications" forum, since OneNote 2016 is part of Microsoft Office, unlike the basic version of OneNote that is included with Windows 10.
Best wishes,
Hans

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Sorry, Hans!
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Bob,
It has been a long time since I set this up.

Rechecked, and once you login, have it remember password.
You are going to fined that the other packages of Office require the access to your Microsoft account, so they can be kept up to date.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I finally got OneNote working for me on my desktop and my iPhone, but I am still learning how it works and how to use it. Of course, I have questions.

First, can anyone tell me if it is possible to create sub-folders within folder tabs? I thought I read somewhere that this is possible, but when I tried Help using sub-folder (var. spellings) as a help search argument I got no hits. Perhaps there is another term I should have used?

Second, is it possible to set alarming reminders in OneNote?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

BobH wrote:I finally got OneNote working for me on my desktop and my iPhone, but I am still learning how it works and how to use it. Of course, I have questions.

First, can anyone tell me if it is possible to create sub-folders within folder tabs? I thought I read somewhere that this is possible, but when I tried Help using sub-folder (var. spellings) as a help search argument I got no hits. Perhaps there is another term I should have used?

Second, is it possible to set alarming reminders in OneNote?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Hi Bob,

FIrst, I'm not sure what you mean by sub-folders in a Folder Tab?
There are pages in a tab... see image. (Is this what you mean?)
SC1.jpg
Second,
The closest thing you can use here are the tasks which you can set to Outlook. From the Home tab in OneNote type the action that needs to be taken and make a task out of it by choosing Outlook task. From the menu you can set a timespan. Downside is that you do need Outlook to set it to be reminded. So the challenge is to set Outlook as the client on the Android and Apple devices. There is no other way to set reminders from OneNote.

Quoted from here
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Thanks Rudi!

That will work just fine. I guess I just didn't understand it (wow, that's a first, eh?) :sad:

I want to set up a tab called "Shopping" and pages within it for each place I shop regularly. Similarly, I'll set up a folder for Medical and then a page for each doctor I see regularly. That way I can keep notes of questions I want to ask and things I want to mention as well as record his/her advice.

I guess I'll have to continue using Thunderbird for alarms. I really don't like Outlook from bad experiences years ago. That's all right, though. OneNote will save enough effort to easily justify setting alarms in Thunderbird or on my iPhone.

Thanks again!

:cheers: :chocciebar: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I came across OneNote Reminder 6.0.0.41 (an add-in for OneNote that generates reminders (popup and audible))
It also support recurring reminder. Sync and reminders on multiple computers.
Reminds even in the absence of running OneNote and Outlook, double clicking on the remind item will jump to the OneNote page.
Free to try for 30 days, and then purchase for $15.

Another useful page to browse for 12 tips on note taking in OneNote.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.