Forward messages in HTML format using Thunderbird

RonH
SilverLounger

Forward messages in HTML format using Thunderbird

Post by RonH »

It seems that quite a number of our members use Thunderbird.
I am trying to find out how to forward an html email within the body of email rather than as an attachment. None of the limited (and dated) info I can find (incl. within Thunderbird forums) solves my problem. All my settings in Thunderbird are HTML but the only way I can forward HTML is as an attachment.
This question has been asked by me in 'Thunderbird' but Eileen has a lot of experienced members who might know the answer :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Update: Thunderbird 45.0 released

Post by HansV »

I don't use Thunderbird myself, but does Thunderbird - Images not sent properly in forwarded emails help?
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Forward messages in HTML format using Thunderbird

Post by Rudi »

Hi Ron,

I thought it best to split your query from the Update: Thunderbird 45.0 released thread into a new thread because the question you raise is not to do with Thunderbird release details.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

MarkIV
NewLounger

Post by MarkIV »

Hold SHIFT while selecting FORWARD.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks for comments etc. Pics can be in-line within email but I can't forward html emails as html ... only if sent as att.
I will keep 'exploring'.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I know that the title of the link I posted mentions images, but did you try the steps outlined there?
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks Mark,
I have tried this but all I end up with is links and code instead of the actual received document.
For example: Extract from -------- Forwarded Message --------

Nyhetsbrev <http://crm-innhold.telenor.no/url/?1050 ... u_alm_topp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;>

Nettbutikk <http://crm-innhold.telenor.no/url/?1050 ... utikk_topp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;>
<http://crm-innhold.telenor.no/url/?1050 ... til_frihet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;>
Glad i å reise?
Årets gladnyhet er at du nå kan bruke mobilen på ferie i Europa, uten å være redd for kostnadene.
Slik sparer du tusenlapper <http://crm-innhold.telenor.no/url/?1050 ... til_frihet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;>
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

HansV wrote:I know that the title of the link I posted mentions images, but did you try the steps outlined there?
Yes, had already tried that ... should have mentioned this in my post :sad:
Got to be a solution, something I am doing wrong. Tried Mark's also as explained in another post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

MarkIV
NewLounger

Post by MarkIV »

RonH wrote:Thanks Mark,
I have tried this but all I end up with is links and code instead of the actual received document.
For example: Extract from -------- Forwarded Message --------

Nyhetsbrev <http://crm-innhold.telenor.no/url/?1050 ... u_alm_topp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;>

Nettbutikk <http://crm-innhold.telenor.no/url/?1050 ... utikk_topp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;>
<http://crm-innhold.telenor.no/url/?1050 ... til_frihet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;>
Glad i å reise?
Årets gladnyhet er at du nå kan bruke mobilen på ferie i Europa, uten å være redd for kostnadene.
Slik sparer du tusenlapper <http://crm-innhold.telenor.no/url/?1050 ... til_frihet" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;>
That's the result I get (Thunderbird 45.1.0) with that kind of message when I select Forward or Forward As > Inline -- which is not what we want to be doing here. Just to confirm that we are communicating, please try this: select a message in the index pane, then

1. Press and hold the SHIFT key.
2. Select Forward in the Message menu or the context menu.
3. Release the SHIFT key.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

STOP PRESS

Oh dear ... seems it is sending OK simply by clicking Forward though the 'sending' does not look correct ...
Capture.JPG
I sent to myself and on receipt I unblocked the email and could read correctly. Thunderbird has strong control over what it allows to be displayed without receivers approval. It also seems that when you first receive this type of html you need to specify how you want to open it and this may effect how it can be subsequently forwarded ... I need to check this out.
Apologies for taking up your valuable time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

MarkIV wrote:
That's the result I get (Thunderbird 45.1.0) with that kind of message when I select Forward or Forward As > Inline -- which is not what we want to be doing here. Just to confirm that we are communicating, please try this: select a message in the index pane, then

1. Press and hold the SHIFT key.
2. Select Forward in the Message menu or the context menu.
3. Release the SHIFT key.
Hei Mark ... yes, repeating this per your comment above gives me the same unwanted result. I only have one 'complex' html in my Inbox so its difficult to tell if a forwarding format is very much determined by how you 'accept' the original email ... though I would have thought that so long as, after acceptance, it reads correct as incoming mail you should be able to forward OK?
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

MarkIV
NewLounger

Post by MarkIV »

Ron, your "Composition" and "Send" settings are quite different from mine. I should have kept my mouth shut -- as usual.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

MarkIV wrote:Ron, your "Composition" and "Send" settings are quite different from mine. I should have kept my mouth shut -- as usual.
Nope ... keep talking!
Out of curiosity, what are your settings? I must say that Windows Live Mail is a doddle to set up and use compared with Thunderbird ... but maybe? not so security concious .
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

MarkIV
NewLounger

Post by MarkIV »

My compose window defaults to plain text. Old school. If I need HTML, I have to ask for it.

As for incoming mail, Thunderbird will optionally check for junk and scams, and it will block remote content. I believe it does so without modifying the raw message; thus I am sceptical that any of that will cause trouble in forwarding.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Think I will stick to HTML as my default Mark.
Thunderbird seems a very powerful email app but has quite a learning curve. For example, in setting mine up a few days ago, I created Local/Sub Folders to line up with those I used in WLM. I then Exported a copy of my WLM emails to a pc folder and in small 'chunks' dragged a copy into Thunderbird. Seemed to work OK but I have since 'discovered that there is an Add-On called Import/Export Tool which can be used ... will use this in future if needed.

A case of doing a bit more research before acting but at my age 'acting' gets to be important :grin:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just a follow up to one of my posts above showing the 'red boxes' around the clip I posted ... got this advice from the TBird forum, might be helpful to others. Thanks to 'Zenos'.

Red boxes are simply indicating the use of tables and so forth to control the layout of the message. As you have noticed, they are not visible in the message when viewed by the recipient.
The boxes are there to guide you; if you wanted to edit the message they help you enter or remove text in the right part of the table.
If you send it as an attachment then you are choosing to send it verbatim, without any editing, so you don't see the contents of the attached message.

So, I think all my queries about TBird are now solved, particularly this aspect of forwarding HTML emails.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

TX for the feedback Ron. I'm sure this will be a helpful reference for other loungers with these questions. :cheers:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.