Registry entry problem

aekyall
4StarLounger

Registry entry problem

Post by aekyall »

I uninstalled my HP printer (old HP5200 series) to resolve a connection issue, only to find that on trying to reinstall it, the installation process tells me either
HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{000C101C-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} is blocking the installation and needs to be removed or, if I try again it tells me that the key is missing and needs to be installed to continue the process! From searching the internet, it would appear that HP probably deleted the registry key(s) as part of the process of uninstalling itself.

I've drilled down in the registry and, sure enough, under CLSID the key isn't there. I've installed it but now it seems the MSI installer is missing! Having looked on the internet I found a similar problem where it instructs to replace the key and then, at the CMD line, input:- @-"msi install server". Tried that but the command isn't recognised. There were other instructions such as to input "Appld"="{key}, and a couple of other commands which are also not recognised.

Being totally ignorant of anything to do with the registry (aka "a little knowledge is a very dangerous thing!!), does anyone have any ideas please? Fortunately, the XP computer is only used as a back up + Linux software, but as the printer is ancient it won't install on my W10 machine where I access it via my router. So, effectively, unless I resolve the registry issue I'll have to buy another (W10 compliant) printer.

:confused3: :confused3:
Regards,
Keith

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Registry entry problem

Post by stuck »

When you say "old HP5200 series" do you mean the HP 5200 LaserJet or the HP Photosmart C5200 all-in-one model?

IF you have the 'Photosmart C5200 all in one' then try 'Method Five' on this page:
http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c01704046

Ken

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Ken, Abject apologies!! :woops: Quite where I got the number 5200 from I just don't know (It's been a somewhat stressful day is my only excuse)!! The printer in question is actually a HP Deskjet F4580, print; scan; copy - I did get the 'old' bit right though.

Edit: I've had a look at the page you suggest and have checked on F4580 - unfortunately, nothing I can see helps me over getting past the missing/unmissing registry key for reinstalling problem
Regards,
Keith

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

aekyall wrote:...The printer in question is actually a HP Deskjet F4580, print; scan; copy...
So it is an all-in-one, in which case it might be worth trying Method five. I may be wrong but I doubt the 'All-in-One Software Removal Utility' that it links to can make your system worse than it is at the moment but it might just clean it up enough for your to be able to reinstall without problems.

Go one, live dangerously...

Ken

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

More Googling later...

See the post timed at '06-18-2012 10:33 AM' from 'pcwizard', the one that starts with:
Hi voltron902,

Try using the scrubber built into the CD or Download.
on this page:
http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/LaserJet-P ... 499/page/2

Ken

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Used the 'scrubber' as suggested - Scary!!! Never seen so many 'are you sure you want to continue' messages! Felt like I was scrubbing the whole disc! Unfortunately, all to no avail I'm afraid. Tried downloading the software from HP, as suggested in the link, but that just took me to back to HP support forum pages. Tried reinstall from the disc again but hit the same problem - missing key (this time) - but when I checked the registry, the key in question is very much there (even after the 'deep clean'). Thanks for your help but I think perhaps it's time (long overdue time probably) for a printer upgrade (prob not HP!), which I'll install on W10.

Although it's not a major issue, I'm wondering if the 'supposed' missing key and, perhaps more importantly, the missing MSI utility (and possibly much more?), will preclude my installing any other printer on XP, of whatever make - or even worse, might it affect the installation of any program, printer or otherwise?

Again, my thanks for your help :weep:
Regards,
Keith