Windows Live Mail 2012

spetho2001
NewLounger

Windows Live Mail 2012

Post by spetho2001 »

I have been getting notices from Microsoft telling me that I will not be able to use Windows Live Mail 2012 any more as my email application. I will be able to use Outlook.com on the web but will not have an email application on my computer anymore unless I purchase or subscribe to Office 365. I do not want to subscribe and I see it is kind of expensive to purchase especially if you have more than one computer.
Can anyone tell me what people are doing about this?
Thank you,
TomS

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Live Mail 2012

Post by HansV »

Welcome to Eileen's Lounge!

If you have Windows 8.1 or Windows 10, you can use the built-in Mail app.
Or you could install Mozilla's free e-mail client Thunderbird, and set up an outlook.com account in it.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

That appears to be for Windows 10 only.
See http://www.groovypost.com/news/windows- ... indows-10/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I have Windows Live Mail 2012 installed on my Windows 7 64 bit machine and have NOT received such email.

As for Office 365, I use it on my Windows 10 64 bit and Windows 7 32 bit machines. I pay $99.00 a year for up to 5 devices.
$20.00 a year is not a bad price, since all new versions are included, and you get to control when you want to upgrade to the next version.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Interesting thread ... I use W10 with WLM 2012 and use the excellent Storage Folders to retain some emails. Does this mean that, when Microsoft get around to 'my pc', I suddenly will not be able to access these via WLM :scratch: Of course I keep a separate copy but only do a complete export once a month ... but this separate copy can only be read in WLM as far as I understand.

Microsoft ... if you are reading ... I think WLM is excellent for handling my three email addresses ... Outlook, Gmail and a POP3. A simple mail handler that does everything I need. Oh, and your W10 Mail App is rubbish.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Just read your 'news flash' Hans. Thanks for this.
Seems that the only email that can't be read with WLM 2012/W10 is Outlook.com. Since I only have an Outlook address to gain access to Microsoft forums (plus other minor aspects) I guess that I could use Microsoft's inbuilt Mail app for this address only and continue to use WLM for my POP3 and Gmail giving me the Storage Folders that I rely upon :scratch:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, that should work. Or use Outlook.com in your web browser.
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Another thought. If I remove (Microsoft remove) my Outlook.com account from WLM then I am guessing that my Contacts will also 'evaporate' from WLM and only be available within the Mail app or of course via the Outlook web browser.

BUT, my primary listing could be my Gmail Contacts which can be imported to WLM so it seems. I am sure others have taken this action and would appreciate the 'how's' and 'what's' eg what type of imported list is most suited to importing to WLM so that you don't loose or mix up the various informations in the Google Contact list.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

See can't import Gmail contacts into Windows Live Mail, in particular the reply by ¡Firedog (Noel Burgess).
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks again Hans. I will slim down my Gmail Contacts info and then try to import .csv

Out of interest I provisionally installed Thunderbird (now uninstalled) but again could not sort out the Address Book ... might take another look at it sometime. It seems that correlation of address book info across various platforms is very limited and I don't fancy entering over 140 addresses plus all the associated info into a new mail handler!
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I don't use Thunderbird myself, but we have several Loungers who do - maybe they will have a suggestion for you...
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Thanks Hans,
I mostly have Windows Live Mail 2012 installed to help others that use it.
I just need to add the email addresses that I use there to my Outlook 365.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

spetho2001 wrote:I have been getting notices from Microsoft telling me that I will not be able to use Windows Live Mail 2012 any more as my email application. I will be able to use Outlook.com on the web but will not have an email application on my computer anymore unless I purchase or subscribe to Office 365. I do not want to subscribe and I see it is kind of expensive to purchase especially if you have more than one computer.
Can anyone tell me what people are doing about this?
Thank you,
TomS
Note that with Office 365 Home, currently $99 USD per year, you get to install the current version Office Pro Plus on 5 PCs or Macs, 5 tablets, & 5 phones. Not so expensive when you have multiple devices. See Choose your Office for more details.

Joe
Joe

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Got some misinformation (elsewhere) but now I can confirm that the Mail App in Windows 10 will allow Storage Folders on an Outlook.com account.
However, needed Folders have to be added via the web Outlook and they are then synced to the Mail app. Then you can select and drag the emails in WLM Storage Folders to the newly created folders in your Outlook acct. They will be synced and then appear in your web Outlook or at the W10 Mail App.

This link provides information in detail

https://support.office.com/en-us/articl ... n-US&ad=US

At first glance this appears to be a good solution (for me at least) but I have yet to add my other two accounts to the Mail app though I do not think this will create any issues. Then I will brave deleting WLM from my pc :flee:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sounds promising. Good luck!
Best wishes,
Hans

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Well after spending most of the afternoon (whilst watching the Giro) moving all my Storage Folder emails to Outlook.com I then added my Gmail account to the Mail app on W10. No problem ... but now I find that I cannot drag an email from Gmail into the newly created Outlook.com Storage Folders :groan:

Using WLM you can drag any email within any email address (eg Gmail) to the WLM Storage Folders for saving and subsequent 'safety' Export to a pc file.
I think I am about to give up on Mail app, stick with WLM and see what happens!
I am not feeling very happy :sad:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Decision made ... I'm sticking with WLM 2012 :clapping:
W10 Mail app really is inflexible, what with no possibilities of one set of Storage Folders for all mail addresses and no possibility of dragging emails to a pc folder etc. You can only drag them within the specific mail address folders.

I will have a study of Thunderbird again at some stage but for now WLM is the greatest :fanfare:
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

RonH wrote:Well after spending most of the afternoon (whilst watching the Giro) moving all my Storage Folder emails to Outlook.com I then added my Gmail account to the Mail app on W10. No problem ... but now I find that I cannot drag an email from Gmail into the newly created Outlook.com Storage Folders :groan:

Using WLM you can drag any email within any email address (eg Gmail) to the WLM Storage Folders for saving and subsequent 'safety' Export to a pc file.
I think I am about to give up on Mail app, stick with WLM and see what happens!
I am not feeling very happy :sad:
You are going to have to give up WLM as it is going away. You will eventually only have Outlook.com on the web and Office 365 if you purchase it or the mail client in Windows 10. That is the way I read things.

spetho2001
NewLounger

Post by spetho2001 »

I do believe that WLM will be going away.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Windows Live Mail is no longer being supported or updated, but it's not going away any time soon. It will keep on working with most types of e-mail accounts, just not with Hotmail/Outlook.com
Best wishes,
Hans