Email Structures

RonH
SilverLounger

Email Structures

Post by RonH »

Interesting problem ... maybe someone has an answer.
I use WLM for receiving/sending emails on both POP3, Outlook and Gmail ... works fine. However, one of my contacts occasionally forwards to me via their Gmail a mail they have received to which is added their comment. Their comment is OK but I have to scroll the original text across the screen because it does not wrap to suit the viewing screen. The original email is not Gmail or any other webmail ... I suspect its POP3. However if I read it via Gmail webmail its all OK.

Is this a set up problem my end or that of the sender or a problem at source? I have done some surfing about 'complications' but I can't get a clear answer.

Thanks Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Email Structures

Post by Rudi »

The first thing that comes to mind is that this email you receive from your friend is in plain text format. If I can remember correctly, WLM prevents plain text from auto wrapping in the window. Try checking the mail format on this email.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Rudi, thanks for your response. I clicked 'Reply' using the same format as the incoming mail and it appears to be in HTML
Mail Format.JPG
Interestingly, most (if not all) of these gmails to me (that I read via WLM) are in plain text but for some reason those that have this scrolling error are in HTML ... presumably because this is the format used by the original sender, resent in that format to me but seemingly using 'carriage return' for the additional text added.
Cheers Ron
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.
The only reason we have the 4th dimension of Time is so that everything does not happen at once.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi Ron,

Reading up on this issue seems to point to the Tools > Options settings, though I could not find an outright cause for this issue.
Have you played around with settings in the Tools > Options dialog.
You could try deactivating the "Reply to messages in the format received" option, and then adjusting setting in the HTML and Plain Text options under the appropriate buttons. Does this make any difference?
Image1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

I also use WLM and I don't use the option to read all in plain text. Occasionally I get some unwrapped mail from http://www.sevenforums.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; when asked why, they could not give an explanation.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Thanks folks for inputs. I think I am in the 'too hard basket' but when I get an opportunity I will try to 'convince' my elderly contact that all Gmails can be sent HTML ... this might solve because I think that the sending plain text and the use of carriage return is maybe contributing to the issue.

I tried various settings in my WLM and the way of solving the 'stretch' just for reading is to click on Reply and the WLM format changing it from the stated HTML to plain text. This does seem odd (doesn't agree with what I suggested above :scratch: ) but it allows easy reading.

If I ever get to solve this I will post here.
Cheers
Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

There may be some hidden/malformed graphic such as a spacer that is causing the stretch.

For example, the code for this line sets it at 100%:

which is relative to the screen width, and will (should!) expand and contract as you change the window size.
But, if somewhere along the way a graphic is transmogrified into a fixed width/number of pixels, this may cause the symptoms you are seeing.
Leif

RonH
SilverLounger

Post by RonH »

Hei Leif & thanks for your post.

I am sure that this issue is not my end ... this particular sender is the only one that occasionally s t r e t c h e s :grin: and I will try to get access to the senders pc at some stage to have a play ... though the 87 yo is coping 'as is' so maybe just 'keep quiet' is the better policy :thumbup:

Cheers Ron
CYa Ron
W11 pc, Android toys.