Internet Speed

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
BobH
UraniumLounger

Internet Speed

Post by BobH »

This might be better as a poll but I couldn't wade through the mental mist to figure out how to phrase it; so I'll just ask the question.

What download speeds do you usually achieve when testing your link?
What upload speed?
What tool do you use to test speeds?
Who is your ISP?

I'll go first:
Download ~34 mbps
Upload ~ 6 mbps
Test using Speedtest.net
Time Warner Cable (Roadrunner)
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

HansV
Administrator

Re: Internet Speed

Post by HansV »

Download: 51 Mbps
Upload: 5.1 Mbps
Also using Speedtest.net
ISP: Telfort (subsidiary of Dutch Telecom)
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Download: *&^$%#% Mbps
Upload: &^#%#*& Mbps
Also using Speedtest.net
ISP: %^#^%(* &^%^&$ ^%#%$@#$

Sorry Bob, our packages vs. rates here in RSA are less than pathetic so I thought I'd reveal my current speeds above with all honesty. Hope its useful. :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Rudi wrote:Download: *&^$%#% Mbps
Upload: &^#%#*& Mbps
Also using Speedtest.net
ISP: %^#^%(* &^%^&$ ^%#%$@#$

Sorry Bob, our packages vs. rates here in RSA are less than pathetic so I thought I'd reveal my current speeds above with all honesty. Hope its useful. :grin:
:rofl:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

BobH wrote:What download speeds do you usually achieve when testing your link?
What upload speed?
Who is your ISP?
@BobH, Please excuse my curiosity but as with your request for information on routers what purpose do you have in mind for the responses you receive? Have I missed something; a previous announcement perhaps?

Malcolm

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Download: 69 Mbps
Upload: 18 Mbps
Also using Speedtest.net
ISP: BT
StuartR

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Download: 84 Mbps
Upload: 39 Mbps
Speedtest.net
ISP: Verizon FiOS

What surprised me is that, compared to those numbers to a server in New Jersey (~100 km), I get 83 Mbps download and 36 Mbps upload to a server in London, UK (5700 km).

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

MalcolmWalker wrote:
BobH wrote:What download speeds do you usually achieve when testing your link?
What upload speed?
Who is your ISP?
@BobH, Please excuse my curiosity but as with your request for information on routers what purpose do you have in mind for the responses you receive? Have I missed something; a previous announcement perhaps?

Malcolm
My sole purpose in each post was to gather information so that we might compare our situations with those of other loungers. My interest started with my difficulties in maintaining Internet access. This started about 3-4 weeks ago and became worse over time until I had no access at all. In troubleshooting, I came to believe that my router was malfunctioning which prompted the question about what routers Loungers use. I was finally able to resolve my Internet connection problems after I replaced my cable modem and router with an all-in-one Arris unit provided by my ISP. I was having problems with extremely slow downloads thereafter, which prompted the question about speeds.

Other than posting on topics that I thought might interest others, I have no other purpose in mind.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

What download speeds do you usually achieve when testing your link? 54.1 Mbps
What upload speed? 3.1 Mbps
What tool do you use to test speeds? speedtest.net, http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who is your ISP? Virgin Media (now owned by Liberty)

This is Fibre To The Cabinet: FTTC
DOCSIS-3, EU version (hence the wide disparity between download and upload speeds)
I could get 152 Mbps download by paying £more - but that's only for those who want to download Windows Updates more rapidly!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

John, what does 'Fiber to the Cabinet' mean? To the cable cabinet at the end of the street? Or closer to home? Is the final link co-ax?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

ISP = Bell Canada; contract calls for 50Mbps Download, 10Mbps Upload. I get different results when testing via wired connection on PC vs wireless connection on iPad.

Results of wired connection:
BA_PCEthernet.jpg
Results with wireless:
BA_iPadWireless.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Bob

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

PaulB wrote:John, what does 'Fibre to the Cabinet' mean? To the cable cabinet at the end of the street? Or closer to home? Is the final link co-ax?
You are correct - but the distance between the fibre cabinet and someone's house can vary (surprise, surprise!); hopefully not more than a few hundred metres.
YDMV - Your Distance May Vary

FTTH - Fibre To The Home - is available in a very few locations and costs £LOTS.
John Gray

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

BobArch2
... which goes to show that the limiting factor
* for ethernet is the speed of the internet connection (you probably have a 1 Gbps NIC)
* for wireless connections is the wireless speed, which is usually slower than the internet connection

This may/will change when we get faster wireless!
John Gray

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

John Gray wrote:What tool do you use to test speeds? speedtest.net, http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Just for giggles, I tried testing with your UK speedtest.net link and got speeds about 50% less than my local ISP. Still far better than the speeds I got back in the days when I used a 300 baud modem and could watch and read the text scroll by on the screen! :smile:
Regards,
Bob

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

That's hardly surprising - you need to test on a server in your own locale! Thinkbroadband is British; speedtest.net has servers all over the world...
John Gray

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

John Gray wrote:BobArch2
... which goes to show that the limiting factor
* for ethernet is the speed of the internet connection (you probably have a 1 Gbps NIC)
Correct: Intel(R) 82579V Gigabit Network Connection
* for wireless connections is the wireless speed, which is usually slower than the internet connection
Agreed
Hopefully...
Regards,
Bob

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I found this interesting.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

ISP is Rogers Cable to a DOCSIS 3 modem, Cisco/Linksys EA4500 Dual-band N900 router. Service is nominally rated at 60 Mb/s download speed, 10 Mb/s upload. Actual, as measured by Speedtest.net or Rogers own speed test (both Ookla based), are consistently ~75 Mb/s download and ~11 Mb/s upload.

The Ookla based speed tests are wildly optimistic and are biased towards the glass-half-full, best case scenarios. My reverie was brought to a crashing halt when I tried the Canadian Internet Registration Authority speed test survey based on the MLAB test suite. I don't know how well it may work outside of Canada, but give it a try here.
snip3.png

John, it's not quite clear to me what you mean by faster wireless. My desktop is connected wirelessly to the router using a Cisco/Linksys AE2500 802.11n USB dongle. It connects at 300 Mb/s. Newer 802.11ac routers can operate at 1.3 Gb/s. Speedtest has measured my iPad at speeds in the 90 Mb/s range.
Snip1.JPG
snip2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

PaulB wrote:I don't know how well it may work outside of Canada, but give it a try here.
I tried the link you posted. The results were slightly but not significantly slower than those of Speedtest.net if I select a server in Toronto. They are a lot slower than Speedtest results with a server near to where I live, but that's not really surprising taking the difference in distance into consideration.
Best wishes,
Hans

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

BobH wrote:My sole purpose in each post was to gather information so that we might compare our situations with those of other loungers. My interest started with my difficulties in maintaining Internet access. This started about 3-4 weeks ago and became worse over time until I had no access at all. In troubleshooting, I came to believe that my router was malfunctioning which prompted the question about what routers Loungers use. I was finally able to resolve my Internet connection problems after I replaced my cable modem and router with an all-in-one Arris unit provided by my ISP. I was having problems with extremely slow downloads thereafter, which prompted the question about speeds.

Other than posting on topics that I thought might interest others, I have no other purpose in mind.
Thank you the courtesy of your reponse and its contents. I had no concern that you had any other motive than the interests of others.

My router's performance is puny compared to the high speed broadband used by other Loungers that I doubt its speeds will add to the worth of the information so far supplied. Suffice to say that for my Internet use, email and some Website development and maintenance I find my broadband service adequate for my needs.

Thank you again for your reply,

Malcolm