Buying a new router

Networking, connecting to the internet, wi-fi and home entertainment
DenGar
3StarLounger

Buying a new router

Post by DenGar »

My Belkin 300 router, about 5 years old, needs to be replaced for a variety of reasons. Shopping, though, for a new router is like a kid picking out candy in a store that has hundreds of choices. Anyway, after slogging through NUMEROUS reviews and recommendations, I've pretty much decided on one of these two. What thinkest thou?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007KZQM9Q

http://www.amazon.com/ASUS-Dual-Band-Wi ... S+RT-AC66U

Or, for that matter, has anyone other recommendations?

Thanks, in advance.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Buying a new router

Post by Rudi »

I'll throw a spanner in the words and give you a third choice... :evilgrin:

The only router I have ever used is TP-Link, so I cannot comment on the two you posted.

Have a look at this one: TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 Wireless N750 Dual Band Router
And the cheaper version: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 Wireless N300 Gigabit Router
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

Rudi wrote:I'll throw a spanner in the words and give you a third choice... :evilgrin:

The only router I have ever used is TP-Link, so I cannot comment on the two you posted.

Have a look at this one: TP-LINK TL-WDR4300 Wireless N750 Dual Band Router
And the cheaper version: TP-LINK TL-WR1043ND V2 Wireless N300 Gigabit Router
Good suggestion. I had looked at the first one listed, but I didn't know anything about TP-Link. It has fairly decent reviews. I'm looking for reliability and performance at a moderate price, and that seems to fit. I'll check it out further. Thanks.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Some ISP's now offer a device that is a combined cable modem and wifi router. I don't know what the charges might be for the upgraded hardware, but it's another option to consider. Contact your cable modem ISP and ask. No harm asking.

I like the looks of that Western Digital and I've had great experience with their HDDs (unlike other manufacturers' units).

FWIW
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If you are considering having the router for another 5 years or so and you use wireless networking and you are considering a new PC you should consider an "AC" router. "AC" is the latest 802.x standard. I don't have any particular recommendations as I've not jumped into that end of the pool yet.

Joe
Joe

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

BobH wrote:Some ISP's now offer a device that is a combined cable modem and wifi router. I don't know what the charges might be for the upgraded hardware, but it's another option to consider. Contact your cable modem ISP and ask. No harm asking.

I like the looks of that Western Digital and I've had great experience with their HDDs (unlike other manufacturers' units).

FWIW
I've checked out the combo but have found mixed, leaning toward negative reviews. I was intending to contact my ISP about a new modem--the one I have is about 12-15 years old. Considering the time I've been with them, I think they owe me a new modem at no charge. They'll probably think otherwise.

I too like the WD drives. I understand WD is relatively new to the networking line, but reviews seem good.

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

JoeP wrote:If you are considering having the router for another 5 years or so and you use wireless networking and you are considering a new PC you should consider an "AC" router. "AC" is the latest 802.x standard. I don't have any particular recommendations as I've not jumped into that end of the pool yet.

Joe
Yes to everything except the new PC--my Lenovo laptop is only 2 years old and has been great. (Having said that, it will probably crash tonight!) I've looked into the AC router but don't network anything but the computer. I understand that the AC router allows you to wirelessly connect a lot of "stuff," so I don't really need it.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

The big advantage of an -AC router is intelligent use of the 5GHz frequency, which is much less crowded than the 2.4GHz you are probably using now. 2.4GHz is used by WiFi, Bluetooth, DECT phones, and some proprietary devices (remote doorbells for example) and it is emitted by microwave ovens. It gets very crowded.
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

DenGar wrote:
BobH wrote:Some ISP's now offer a device that is a combined cable modem and wifi router. I don't know what the charges might be for the upgraded hardware, but it's another option to consider. Contact your cable modem ISP and ask. No harm asking.

FWIW
I've checked out the combo but have found mixed, leaning toward negative reviews. I was intending to contact my ISP about a new modem--the one I have is about 12-15 years old. Considering the time I've been with them, I think they owe me a new modem at no charge. They'll probably think otherwise.

I too like the WD drives. I understand WD is relatively new to the networking line, but reviews seem good.
I don't know who your ISP is but I have my old "friend" Verizon providing DSL service. After a few discussions they finally DID provide a new combo DSL modem\router replacement at no charge. It seems to work well for me, It's a GT 784 WMV model. ( V stands for of all things, Verizon ) Short specs listed below.

The full featured GT784WN Wireless N DSL modem router reduces the technology clutter. By integrating a DSL modem, wireless N networking, and full routing capability in one box, the GT784WN lets you solve all of your customer's connection and networking needs. The modem has been tested for maximum performance on all major DSL providers and supports ADSL2+ with speeds up to 24 Mbps downstream to support IPTV services.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

"speeds up to 24 Mbps downstream" - that's not very fast these days...
Best wishes,
Hans

DenGar
3StarLounger

Post by DenGar »

[/quote]I don't know who your ISP is but I have my old "friend" Verizon providing DSL service. After a few discussions they finally DID provide a new combo DSL modem\router replacement at no charge. It seems to work well for me, It's a GT 784 WMV model. ( V stands for of all things, Verizon ) Short specs listed below.

The full featured GT784WN Wireless N DSL modem router reduces the technology clutter. By integrating a DSL modem, wireless N networking, and full routing capability in one box, the GT784WN lets you solve all of your customer's connection and networking needs. The modem has been tested for maximum performance on all major DSL providers and supports ADSL2+ with speeds up to 24 Mbps downstream to support IPTV services.[/quote]

Bob,
Interesting--Verizon is also my ISP. I decided to try the modem-router, so I called Verizon, explained the situation, and they're sending a free modem-router. It's an Actiontec (new to me) and has the same model number as yours. If I have problems, at least it was free. And I was pleasantly surprised when they credited me with 15 days of service. I've been with Verizon for decades, so it was the least they could do. (This is the Amazon link to the model: http://www.amazon.com/Actiontec-Verizon ... tech+modem.

Thanks for your advice.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

HansV wrote:"speeds up to 24 Mbps downstream" - that's not very fast these days...
It's not too bad for DSL.

Verizon's upper-level broadband offering, FiOS® fiber-optic cable, is available in a half dozen tiers from 25 Mbps to 500 Mbps; I now use 75 Mbps. The higher speeds are considerably more expensive. Also, the FiOS infrastructure isn't yet available in many parts of the USA.

According to Wikipedia, "100 Mbit/s services are the average standard in urban South Korean homes and the country is rapidly rolling out 1Gbit/s connections or 1,000 Mbit/s, at $20 per month." <jealous/>

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just out of interest, are you guys talking about download speeds that are typically measured by the below types of speed tests...as in the case with Ookla?

If this is so, in my case 24 Mbs speed would be heaven!!! Let alone Jay's 75 Mbs or 100 Mbs.
If 1 Gig per sec is on the cards...Ookla had better change their speedometer charts...
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Yes, indeed. They changed the speedometer chart some years ago, when ADSL2 and cable internet became popular. I assume they will change it again when 1 GB becomes widely available.
The servers they use will have to be upgraded too - most of them currently aren't able to deliver such download speeds even if your connection supports it...
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Jay Freedman wrote:
HansV wrote:"speeds up to 24 Mbps downstream" - that's not very fast these days...
It's not too bad for DSL.

Verizon's upper-level broadband offering, FiOS® fiber-optic cable, is available in a half dozen tiers from 25 Mbps to 500 Mbps; I now use 75 Mbps. The higher speeds are considerably more expensive. Also, the FiOS infrastructure isn't yet available in many parts of the USA.

According to Wikipedia, "100 Mbit/s services are the average standard in urban South Korean homes and the country is rapidly rolling out 1Gbit/s connections or 1,000 Mbit/s, at $20 per month." <jealous/>
I get along with DSL, since Verizon FIOS is not available here on the Cape. Verizon decided that FIOS was not economically feasible out here and fiber optic cable was only for Central Office trunk lines.
Other choices might be Satellite or Comcast cable. Satellite is a little "iffy" out here and since we have 100% of our utilities buried underground, I really don't care to get our property trenched to get cable service. So......we take what we can get. :groan: :sad:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Rudi wrote:Just out of interest, are you guys talking about download speeds that are typically measured by the below types of speed tests...as in the case with Ookla?

If this is so, in my case 24 Mbs speed would be heaven!!! Let alone Jay's 75 Mbs or 100 Mbs.
If 1 Gig per sec is on the cards...Ookla had better change their speedometer charts...
Indeed.
I get speeds like this only over fairly short distances (this one is 50 miles, ~80 km), and I'm usually limited by the speed of the server I'm connecting to. But it's great for downloading things like 3 GB ISO images from MSDN.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Thats ridiculous.
Down here, bandwidth is more valuable than gold. I'd be paying through my teeth to get speeds even half of that pace. :jealous:
Regards,
Rudi