Simple Message Board

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Simple Message Board

Post by MalcolmWalker »

I would like to set-up a simple bulletin board in my personal Website. The intention is to find out what is needed, for test purposes, to give members already logged-in to a Website, access to a question and answer board. But my searches only seem to come up with forum type bulletin boards such as the one used for Eileen's Lounge; phpBB. What I am looking for is often seen at the foot of a review or blog whereby a comment or question can be asked and a response added. vBulletin has been suggested but that is a fully-featured bulletin board as is phpBB. In my searches I found this page: http://www.webestools.com/scripts_tutor ... -sign.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
However no instructions seem to be available and two messages to their contact address have not had a response.

Help or suggestions will be most welcome?

HansV
Administrator

Re: Simple Message Board

Post by HansV »

Take a look at Disqus or HTML Comment Box.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Thank you Hans and Rudi - I've tested your suggestions and I have HTML Comment working as it fulfils the stated need. However I have yet to find where the test comments are stored and how to edit/delete them as may be necessary when in use!

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

If you use the commentsbox that Hans linked to: http://www.htmlcommentbox.com/ you will see under the help menu it shows how to moderate comments on your site. Point #3... (See image below)
These comment boxes that we reference are not connected to a database that store comments in a table for querying etc, (AFAIK) they are written to the HTML page that contains the code for the comment box. Unless there is scripting written into the feature to moderate or delete, etc, you'd probably have to edit the comments or delete them by going into your web page and actually remove them from the HTML yourself.
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Rudi, Thank you - you are spoiling me - and I like it! I hadn't realised that I had to log-in to Google Mail to have the delete button appear as I thought the script took care of that.

The result is simple, even basic but will more than suffice for development. You can go to http://www.mewalker.co.uk/sgc_comment/ to see the bare-bones and leave a comment if you widsh. Just remember I am the moderator! :evilgrin:

Thanks to yourself and Hans for your pointers - my search terms have to rated as abysmally bad not to come up with something useful!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have added a comment...
Best wishes,
Hans

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

I had a quick look - my only comment is that viewing in Firefox with NoScript running, I am obliged to allow 'htmlcommentbox.com' to run scripts.
x.jpg
No great problem with that, but you may find your page doesn't work if that domain goes off-line or the script becomes unavailable for whatever reason...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Leif

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

HansV wrote:I have added a comment...
And I have responded . . .

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Leif wrote:I had a quick look - my only comment is that viewing in Firefox with NoScript running, I am obliged to allow 'htmlcommentbox.com' to run scripts.
No great problem with that, but you may find your page doesn't work if that domain goes off-line or the script becomes unavailable for whatever reason...
Thank you for the alert. However as it is a non-essential facility that is being considered I don't think it will be an issue.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I added my flavour too :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I use Disqus on my web site and I get this menu when I review blog comments that people have posted...
Disqus.png
StuartR

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

StuartR wrote:I use Disqus on my web site and I get this menu when I review blog comments that people have posted...
May I view Disqus on your Website please?

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Sure, it's at http://www.optimalservicemanagement.com/blog/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
StuartR

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

Stuart, Thank you,
Malcolm