.NET Framework

Gloria E
5StarLounger

.NET Framework

Post by Gloria E »

I'm struggling to learn about Windows 7 Home Premuim, 64-bit and I have questions. I'm sure more will follow.

Is .NET Framework required?
I went to Windows Update and .NET Framework was not on the list of downloads.
If you know of any needed programs or system files that doesn't come with the Windows 7 installation disk and are required, please send me a list.

I found XPS Viewer for Windows 7 on my computer. I have installed Microsoft Office XP with FrontPage. My question is do I need the viewer? It must have come with Windows 7 because I didn't install it. Come to think of it, it could have been installed by Windows Update that automatically downloaded and installed before I turned Automatic Updates off. If it's not needed inform me of how to remove it.

I feel I'm in deep trouble with Windows 7, I feel so stupid and I hate that feeling.
Someone please help me.

Goria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Charlotte
Her Majesty

Re: .NET Framework

Post by Charlotte »

The .Net framework is installed with Windows 7. There will only be an update for service packs or later versions. Are you looking for any particular reason, Gloria? Do you need a different version for a program or something?

You'll be much happier with Windows 7 if you don't anguish over every file you find on the drive. As I recall, you've gotten in trouble before trying to eliminate files you didn't think you needed ... until you did need them, correct? :smile:
Charlotte

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

Charlotte wrote:The .Net framework is installed with Windows 7. There will only be an update for service packs or later versions. Are you looking for any particular reason, Gloria? Do you need a different version for a program or something?

You'll be much happier with Windows 7 if you don't anguish over every file you find on the drive. As I recall, you've gotten in trouble before trying to eliminate files you didn't think you needed ... until you did need them, correct? :smile:
Your Majesty, I'm so full of Windows XP that I think that I should have everything I was used to. I was reading a post and someone mentioned NET Frameworkk and a light went off. Oh, I said to myself, I wonder if I should install that one too?
Thus my post and there will be more until I get that book and read up on Windows 7. But. if I didn't post Windows Secrets would be short one user, and we're trying to add posters, not lose them right? :hairout:

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

As Charlotte notes, the .NET Framework is automatically installed with Windows 7. I suspect that it's needed for some utilities in Windows 7, so I wouldn't remove it.

The XPS viewer is part of Microsoft Office. If you want to remove it, you can do so by changing the Microsoft Office installation in the Programs control panel (but I'd leave it alone if I were you.)
Best wishes,
Hans