Windows updates until 2019

steveh
SilverLounger

Windows updates until 2019

Post by steveh »

Hi all

for those of you, like me, who prefer a proper OS but are worried about security updates, fret no more (at least not for 5 years). Windows XP updates
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows updates until 2019

Post by HansV »

A "proper OS"? :scratch:
I thought MS-DOS was a "proper OS" :grin:
Best wishes,
Hans

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

steveh wrote:for those of you, like me, who prefer a proper OS but are worried about security updates, fret no more (at least not for 5 years). Windows XP updates
Steve, making that registry change is a REALLY bad idea, because you will then get updates intended for the cut-down "Point-of-Sale" embedded version of Windows XP, fixes which have never been tested on the 'real' Windows XP.

If you want to stay with XP, ensure your hardware and software firewall continues to work properly, and use a supported antivirus program. (How long these will continue for is not known...)

Or never connect to the internet and don't introduce anything like a USB Flash Drive to your system!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Sooner or later everyone will need to make the plunge. Why not "just do it" (like Nike says!)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

D Willett
SilverLounger

Post by D Willett »

Microsoft have already advised against doing this – the fundamental issue being that although embedded XP and desktop XP are similar, they are not the same and it’s therefore impossible to be certain that an update for one won’t actually kill the other one..

http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2 ... ack-update
Cheers ...

Dave.

steveh
SilverLounger

Post by steveh »

steveh wrote:Hi all

for those of you, like me, who prefer a proper OS but are worried about security updates, fret no more (at least not for 5 years). Windows XP updates
Thanks all for the comments

it looked like a legitmate source that would see me nearly through to retirement without the pain of Windows 7 and Windows 8 which I will definitely never use after seeing it on our Sales Directors laptop, I am willing to compromise with a smartphone because the amount of time I use it I can get away with a stylus rather than putting grubby fingers all over the screen. Next you will tell me that they plan to scrap the proper 2003 Office programs!!

And yes Hans, you are right about DOS being the proper OS
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Both Windows 7 and Windows 8 are excellent operating systems. You aren't required to use touch - mouse and keyboard work fine. Windows 7 works fine "out of the box", and with a bit of tweaking, Windows 8.1 Update can be made to behave and look much like Windows 7 (and Windows 7 can be made to look much like Windows XP).
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

steveh wrote:...it looked like a legitmate source...
It is a legitimate source and a few quick Google searches show it's not a hoax. However, as already cautioned here applying the reg hack might not turn out quite as pain free as it at first sounds. The old adage, "If it sounds to good to be true it probably is." comes to mind. If I had time I'd fix up a secondary XP box and apply the reg hack to see how it went but I think I'll leave my main XPMCE box alone.
steveh wrote:...without the pain of Windows 7 and Windows 8...
Win 7 is no pain at all. In fact if your XP hardware can cope with Win7 it's a no brainer. I have Win 7 at work, I wouldn't go back to XP.

There is no doubt that Win 8.0 has got a bad reputation and it is a considerable change from XP but 8.1 does offer a glimmer of hope. Yes, it is still miles from XP but it can be made to boot straight to the desktop and that still looks familiar. I've got a Win 8.0 laptop that I upgraded to 8.1 sitting on the floor behind me as I type this on my XPMCE desktop. I was in the middle of configuring it when life took over so I can't say much more about 8.1 at the moment.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

HANS..........you wrote [Update can be made to behave and look much like Windows 7 (and Windows 7 can be made to look much like Windows XP).] I have just today been to the house of a friend who made some rather negative comments about his Windows 7 system and said he would go back to XP were it not for the cost. Please explain how W7 can be made to look much like XP as he might just be interested. THANKS Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Right-click an empty part of the desktop.
Select Personalize from the context menu.
Scroll down and select "Windows Classic".

If your friend wants to go further (although I strongly recommend NOT doing that - it's much better to get used to the new interface), he can install the free add-in Classic Shell.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

...thanks will acquaint him with the post and leave it with him . Cheers Dave.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Also, when he is asking for help, he needs to tell people that he has set it up in the classic mode, as the instructions will be different.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living