Windows Explorer view options

jmt356
SilverLounger

Windows Explorer view options

Post by jmt356 »

Whenever I am in Windows Explorer on Windows XP, the files are listed with Details. I want simple List enabled. I always need to go into View | List. Every time I switch locations, I need to remind Windows Explorer. Is there a way to get it to remember my preference? As I understand, it should automatically remember the last option I selected and display future displays as such. But this is not working.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Explorer view options

Post by HansV »

Set up a folder the way you want, with List view.
Then select Tools | Folder Options...
Scroll down the list and clear the check box "Remember each folder's view settings".
Click "Apply to All Folders".
Click OK.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Thank you.

Will this also work on Windows 7?

PS: does replying to the email notification from admin@eileenslounge.com not cause the reply to be posted?
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Notifications are just that. They are not intended to be replied to, and if you do reply to a notification, it will not get posted here in the Lounge.

In Windows Explorer in Windows 7:
Set up a folder the way you want.
Click Organize > Folder and Search Options.
Activate the View tab.
Click "Apply to Folders".
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

thank you
Regards,

JMT

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I want to take this a bit further. I work in an environment where I connect to many different machines from my machine using Remote Desktop Connector. I need to see file extensions at all times. Whenever I connect to a new machine I have to change this setting in 'Folder and Search Options'. Is there a way that I could set this up in my Roaming Profile so that when I connected to a machine it would have this setting automatically?
Who will you Inspire today?

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I could be wrong here, but isn't the extensions setting specific to that PC you are connecting to and not a setting from RDC or your profile?
Just a thought?!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

I believe you are correct Rudi. I was just hoping someone would have a way to make it happen. These are all virtual machines and every week there are at least 5 created so it is an ongoing issue for me.
I did talk to the team that creates them and they said that when we log in we are not using a Roaming Profile but rather the settings and account are created at that time. This means that they could create a Group Policy that would then affect all users. So I am now trying to get a consensus from all the users to place that request.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

A group policy would be the way to go.

If that doesn't turn out to be possible, you could set up Windows Explorer the way you want (display hidden files, don't hide extensions, etc.), then use RegEdit to export the HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced key to a .reg file.
Store the .reg file somewhere you can always access it, e.g. a network drive or a USB stick. Double-clicking the .reg file will apply your preferred settings to Windows Explorer.
Best wishes,
Hans

Timelord
4StarLounger

Post by Timelord »

Thanks Hans. I think for just this one setting that might be a bit much but if I find that there are a bunch of changes I want then that would be the way to go.