Vista Home Premium - chkdsk

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Vista Home Premium - chkdsk

Post by hlewton »

On a friend’s computer running Vista Home Premium I had him enter the command “chkdsk /r” and answer yes to schedule it on the next reboot but it did not run. I then had my friend try running the check now from the tools tab of C: drives properties but it wanted to schedule it for the next reboot so I had him cancel that. Maybe it should be mentioned that when I had him enter the “chkdsk /r” command into the CMD prompt window he first had to choose to run it as administrator. Not familiar with this because on all my machines I already have administrator privileges when they are built for me. Seems others have similar problems but I have not found a good solution to give him. Seems one solution requires the OS system disk and he only has recovery or restore, whatever it is called, on this laptop. Any ideas on how I can get “chkdsk /r” to run on this machine?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

Leif
Administrator

Re: Vista Home Premium - chkdsk

Post by Leif »

Try setting it up as outlined in Check your hard disk for errors rather than from a command prompt.
Leif

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Leif wrote:Try setting it up as outlined in Check your hard disk for errors rather than from a command prompt.
Lief actually that is exactly what I had him do but it seemed to ask if he wanted to run at a reboot, at least that is what he told me. It didn't offer the other options but I'll have him check again.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans I will check that out right now.
Regards,
hlewton

thomasbecker
NewLounger

Post by thomasbecker »

I will give it a try to see the progress. Thanks a lot for the idea! It's a greatest thing ever!