Sensible font

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Sensible font

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
Does anyone recommend a font for coding? I've come across recommendations for Consolas and one called Andale Mono (which isn't on my Vista system).
I tend to stick with Comic Sans, which I like, but would like to check out others. Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Sensible font

Post by HansV »

A fixed-width font works best, because the Visual Basic Editor inserts a number of spaces when you press the Tab key.
Courier New is available on all versions of Windows, so it is a good candidate. (It's the font I use in the Visual Basic Editor, and for documentation purposes)
Consolas comes with Office 2007, so it may not be available on all PCs.
Comic Sans MS is not a fixed-width font, so I wouldn't recommend it for code.
Best wishes,
Hans

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you. Don't know why I said Comic Sans - I meant to say Courier New.. Probably coz I like Comic Sans generally! Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Andalé Mono was one of the fonts included in the now-removed package Microsoft TrueType Core Fonts for the Web. A hunt using Google may turn up a copy, hopefully virus-free... It is a useful monospaced font for programmers because the zero has a dot in the middle of it, and for other reasons (like because it's NOT Courier New).
AndaleMono.GIF
Don't forget that if you have the Cleartype Collection of fonts: Calibri, Cambria, Candara, Consolas, Constantia, and Corbel, then the monospaced font in that bunch is Consolas (which has a diagonal stroke through the zero). If for some reason you don't have these, you can obtain them by downloading the Microsoft PowerPoint Viewer 2007.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi.
I haven't got Andalé Mono at the moment, but I'm quite excited by Consolas having a stroke through the zero - I don't get out much!
I wonder why I've never seen this in a font, event though it's constantly use in hand-written notes. Perhaps they should have put a stroke
through 7 as well. Andy.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you search Google or Bing, you'll find several "slashed zero" fonts, many of them free. For example:
ProFont for Windows, for Macintosh, for Linux
Zero
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks for those font links - I especially like the HAM radio code fonts.
Don

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You're welcome - glad you like them.
Best wishes,
Hans