Dreamweaver cs5.5 local test server

Cah
3StarLounger

Dreamweaver cs5.5 local test server

Post by Cah »

I'm wondering if anyone has a local test server set up for previewing a sit based on php? Currently I'm trying out EasyPHP and it works but I wonder about alternatives. It keeps trying to add itself to start automatically with Windows, something I'm not happy about. Whatever I use I need it to work with Dreamweaver CS 5.5. My system is Windows 7 64 bit. Any recommendations/suggestions for alocal test server. Thanks.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Dreamweaver cs5.5 local test server

Post by Rudi »

I notice after browsing that there is an option to "Start on Windows startup" in the configuration of the app. Have you disabled this?

As for alternatives: See here.
Sorry, I cannot comment on any of these as I do not use these types of apps....
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Adobe mentions XAMPP - see Setting up a PHP development environment for Dreamweaver. I have no personal experience with it.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I have a local web server on my XP box, this one:
http://downstairs.dnsalias.net/homewebserver.html
However I have only ever used it to test my hacks of some (free to use) clever Javascript that displays images in interesting ways. I have no idea how to set it up to run php, though the documentation implies this can be done.

Ken

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »

Thanks for all the replies. The Configuration is opaque. I'm going to try the following:
EasyPHP.png
The Checkbox "Launch servers when the application start" is supposed to be the option for starting with Windows. I've had it unchecked from the start but now I've also unchecked "Start on session start up" which doesn't have a tooltip. Might try switching to XAMP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

What version do you have...
I think think this is v5.
easyphp5.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

MalcolmWalker
3StarLounger

Post by MalcolmWalker »

>My system is Windows 7 64 bit. Any recommendations/suggestions for a local test server.<

I have in the past used the Internet Information Server (IIS) that comes with Windows 7. Have you considered using it? In Control Panel go to Programs and Features | Turn Windows Features on or off and enable IIS. Configuration information is available on the Internet and this location is usually reliable for tutorials generally and in this case IIS; the tutorial is for Windows 7 as well as Vista:

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows- ... ows-vista/

When I was active in Website creation I used Apache with success. Not easy to configure and my requests for assistance in the Apache Forum were not met with generous enthusiasm; indeed the initial responses were rather akin to asking why I was asking such basic questions as if I had no business using a programme I didn't know or understand! But I did eventually establish a rapport that led to successful use of Apache.

Good luck, Malcolm

Cah
3StarLounger

Post by Cah »